royal vs red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which has done better in lab tests for protection of flat tappet engines and performance, royla purple or redline oil .

Well it could be a mistake that the oil I'm talking about is not really the race oil and was more about the performance of their regular syn oils and not the straight weight race oils.
calm down it will be ok, two threads is not such a big deal to cuss about.

thanks Saab9-3 for your reply, In doing a search here it's hard to find exact data for zinc and Pho levels. I was kinda thinkign from what I had read so far that you are correct that redline has more of the additives and cheaper than the purple stuff too.

Originally Posted By: built
Well it could be a mistake that the oil I'm talking about is not really the race oil and was more about the performance of their regular syn oils and not the straight weight race oils.
calm down it will be ok, two threads is not such a big deal to cuss about.

thanks Saab9-3 for your reply, In doing a search here it's hard to find exact data for zinc and Pho levels. I was kinda thinkign from what I had read so far that you are correct that redline has more of the additives and cheaper than the purple stuff too.

Look in the VOA section and just go page by page, until you see posts on the oils in question It is easier I think then doing a search. I would not say Redline oil is cheaper then Royal Purple but I guess it depends on where you get it, Royal Purple at the Advance Auto down the street from me is 7.89 while Redline is 9.95 at a performance auto shop by me.

Not only does RL have sufficant amount of ZDDP, it also has a designated HTHS number, and some of the highest HTHS numbers seen in any oil of the given weight.

RP does not divuldge HTHS numbers.

FYI this is only for their street oils; their race oils have low levels of detergents. As a weekend racer (drag), I am very comfortable running their 5W-30.

5W30: TBN 8, 1330 ppm zinc, 1200 ppm phosphorus and 950 ppm moly.
5W40: TBN 8.4, 1323 ppm zinc, 1175 ppm phosporus and 0 moly.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
FYI this is only for their street oils; their race oils have low levels of detergents. As a weekend racer (drag), I am very comfortable running their 5W-30.

5W30: TBN 8, 1330 ppm zinc, 1200 ppm phosphorus and 950 ppm moly.
5W40: TBN 8.4, 1323 ppm zinc, 1175 ppm phosporus and 0 moly.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

banana2.gif

Redline's 5w40 (sigh). It used to be much higher in TBN and had a lot of moly. Since RL sells it for diesels, it must have been reformulated for CJ4. If you want a 40-weight from Redline, buy their 10w40 or 0w40.

I was looking for alot more additives than 771 zinc and 636 phos.and 92 moly?

Does redline even make a additive level upwards of 1200 ppm of additives.

this is no better than off the shelf gov regulated oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back