Need Advice On Router Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to purchase a wireless router for my dorm. Even though the university does not support routers, I am going to get one anyway since the signal strength is too weak in my room.

Speed isn't a concern to me since the router will only be used for internet. However, a good range and enhanced signal strength is important to me. The budget is $100 or less, but I'm flexible.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks.

Get an Asus router and flash with DD-WRT firmware upgrade. You will then have a $600 router and can do very cool things. Plus you can crank up the signal.

OVERK1LL turned me on to ASUS routers a year ago and I'm happy he did. It was affordable, well built and very very reliable with DD-WRT on it.

I have a thread on here where I ran 186 days straight without a reboot. We have very heavy traffic in our house using the router. ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1459251#Post1459251 )

If you want a more mainstream brand then get one of the higher end Linksys routers that can support DD-WRT.

Can't go wrong with the old-faithful "Linksys WRT54G-L".

I have 4 of these around (2 in my house) and it's been flawless for the past several years.

Never missed a beat.

Q.

p.s. I'm running Tomato.

Buy the one with the biggest antenna, not the fancy features.

My favorites: WRT54GL/GS with the biggest aftermarket antenna, WRT160N v1.0 or v1.1, Buffalo WHR-54 (or something like that).

Haven't tried the others so I can't comment on those.

I bought Linkys WRT160N last year as my first wireless router. it's never turned off and I never had to reboot it. It's been working flawless since 5/08

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I bought Linkys WRT160N last year as my first wireless router. it's never turned off and I never had to reboot it. It's been working flawless since 5/08

They changed the design in Oct/Nov 2008 and the newer version completely sucks.

Netgear Rangemax, they are about $60 on sale. The also have the blue "mood" light which would be great for a dorm room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back