Image Burn

Ubuntu Linux (desktop)
www.ubuntu.com

CentOS Linux (server) www.centos.org

OpenOffice (for Windows/Linux/OSX)
www.openoffice.org

Avast antivirus
www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

IMGBurn (amazing CD/DVD burner for Windows)
www.imgburn.com

The Gimp (Windows and Linux) www.gimp.org

Handbrake (Windows and OSX) www.handbrake.fr

VLC (Windows/Linux/OSX) www.videolan.org

Putty (Windows) www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty

K-Lite Codec Pack video codec you'll ever need
www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Virtualdub (Windows) www.virtualdub.org

Kino (Linux) www.kinodv.org

Skype (Windows/Linux/OSX) www.skype.com

Audacity (Windows/Linux/OSX) audacity.sourceforge.net

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
CentOS Linux (server)

Also makes a terrific desktop!

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
VLC (Windows/Linux/OSX) div>

And let's not forget Mplayer. If there is anything on this earth that plays more formats out of the box than VLC, it's Mplayer.

Left one out...

SRWare's Iron
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

It's Google's Chrome with all of the offensive user tracking [censored] removed, no "googleupdate" secretly installed and running automatically, and it supports adblocking (unlike Chrome). Runs under Windows and Linux. It is substantially faster than Exploder and usually faster for most things than Firefox and Safari. Two thumbs up.

My newest favorite isn't software, but a website. It's Pandora Radio (pandora.com)

You type in an artist or song you like and it creates a "station" that plays similar songs. It costs nothing and there is nothing to download. No commercials, except for the ads that play on the website. I absolutely love it. I'm listening to it now.

Too bad, I was ready to fire it up:

Quote:
Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Canada (your IP address appears to be not.from.'round.here). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at [email protected]

I get a lot of this [censored] when attempting to access American content.
18.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC

I get a lot of this [censored] when attempting to access American content.

That seems to be because the U.S. corporate entities - networks, broadcasters, etc. do *not* have the right (ie. they've licensed that right to someone else) to distribute content outside the U.S., or in Canada specifically. The Canadian entities who've assumed the copyright within Canada rarely, if ever, offer anything of substance, in accordance with the "All Canadian Stuff Must Suck Compared To A U.S. Counterpart" Act of Parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back