iPod Touch - WiFi Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a wireless network in my office, but the router is too far away for my iPod to get a good connection. Is there any cheap and easy way to boost signal strength in my office? I've googled it without much luck.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
We have a wireless network in my office, but the router is too far away for my iPod to get a good connection. Is there any cheap and easy way to boost signal strength in my office? I've googled it without much luck.

It's the "cheap and easy" element that makes this difficult!

Instead of purchasing a product, there are lots of ways to get a marginal boost in recepetion kludging together little add-on for your router's antenna. This is a Google search that might get you rolling:

http://www.google.com/search?q=boost+router+strength&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.debian:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a

Your other quick and easy option is to investigate whether or not your router can accomodate third party software. The DD-WRT aftermarket software for (compatible) routers can boost your broadcast strength, with the down side that your components may run a bit hot, and may shorten the life of the router.

Can you upgrade the router to DD-WRT so you can crank up the signal in the settings?

You could also google a "Home Made" WiFi antenna extender. I made one for a friend who has a restaurant next to a Starbucks and he wanted all the people at Starbucks to know that he has FREE WiFi so we made one of these antennas and hooked it up. Now they are eating in his restaurant to use his free WIFI instead of paying through the nose at Starbucks. MUHAHAHA

Here is an even easier one that the one I built...

http://freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

The router is in a locked server room, to which I am not allowed ANY access. So, any modifications or add-ons to the router are out of the question. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make the wireless signal stronger in my office only.

Oh... I see... You could buy a cheap router that you could setup with DD-WRT. Set it up as a repeater that will grab the signal from the other router and rebroadcast it in your office. The router will be able to pickup more faint signals because it may have a more powerful transceiver unit in it compared to your I-POD which as a smaller one to be more battery conscious.

Failing that check with the board member OVERK1LL on here... He is a network engineer.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
It'd be ugly as sin, but is there one o' them DIY signal enhancers that wavinwayne could apply *to the iPod*? I don't know where the antenna is on an iPod, or whether it'd be improved by crafting a silly looking aluminum foil parabolic "enhancement".

Hmm.....interesting, but in the interest of cheapness, I'm first going to try my hand at a homemade device I saw online. If that doesn't help, I'm going to make the head of my dept. swap offices with me, since he sits close to the router. ;-)

The router is in a locked server room, to which I am not allowed ANY access. So, any modifications or add-ons to the router are out of the question. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make the wireless signal stronger in my office only.

The only way you could affect signal strength in your office is by putting a repeater between your office and the router or by making a change at the router itself (bigger antenna, relocated antenna, etc.). If this is an office WiFi system and your office doesn't have good enough signal, then I think you should pester the IT guys to put a better antenna on the router. Having it physically in a closet is pretty bad- they should at least get the antenna out in a hallway.

Before you put any network stuff in, talk to the IT guys and see what they can do. They'll probably be more than happy to upgrade or relocate an antenna or even put in a WAP near you. In my organization, we confiscate all unauthorized network equipment.

I like the idea of building a tinfoil parabolic reflector for the ipod, though. That's a good way to kill an hour or so before lunch.

I have never tried this on a computer without iTunes, but how about connecting your iPod Touch to your computer via the Touch's USB cable, then piggy-back Internet access from your computer without having to rely on Wifi?

Last edited:
Beware two routers on a network can be way more difficult and could take the whole network down! You should only have one DNS server (?) running (on the main one locked in the closet) so you have to turn it off on the "slaves".

Have a regular old ethernet jack? You must. Forget repeaters, just broadcast this. Agree with the others about "check with IT".

UPDATE: I asked my office network engineer if we could add an additional wireless access point near my office. He said it cost approx. $700 to add a (Cisco) WAP, and unless I could convince THE MAN that we needed another one, the answer was NO. I had no idea of the cost. I politely thanked the network engineer, and crawled back into my Wifi-less office-cave.

... I politely thanked the network engineer, and crawled back into my Wifi-less office-cave.
crackmeup2.gif

Good little worker Bee...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
... I politely thanked the network engineer, and crawled back into my Wifi-less office-cave.
crackmeup2.gif

Good little worker Bee...

Don't ever call me a "Good" worker.

office-space-05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back