proline orange antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepboys has proline orange antifreeze on sale this month. Is it the same thing as dexcool and if so why not just write dexcool on it/

Dexcool is a licensed brand name. That's why. Plus Dexcool and the other "all makes all models" type 5 year/150K antifreezes are likely not 100% identical to Dexcool. But yes, if it is labeled as extended life all makes all models, it's likely an organic acid 2eha type coolant very similar to Dex(death)cool.

Last edited:
Isn't 2-EHA a problem only when it comes in contact with the gaskets? I'm gonna replace the a/f in my Saturn SL-1 with Prestone AMAM (a dexclone). I don't believe it ever comes in contact with the I/M gasket. Am I correct?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Isn't 2-EHA a problem only when it comes in contact with the gaskets? I'm gonna replace the a/f in my Saturn SL-1 with Prestone AMAM (a dexclone). I don't believe it ever comes in contact with the I/M gasket. Am I correct?

Caskets or oxygen. If there is any air in the system (for example, a cap on your overflow tank was not closed all the way and coolant evaporated allowing air to get into the radiator), Deathcool will turn to sludge. I had debated going with Prestone AMAM, but decided to stick with low-silicate NAPA green in my Isuzu.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dan55
I used DexCool in my 93 sl2 for ten years and over 200K with no problems.

Then that means there isn't any problems with Dexcool? Your limited experience always trumps collective knowledge and experience. We all know that if one person has a certain problem with a vehicle,everyone with the same vehicle will also experiemce that same problem. Just like all people get cancer if one person gets cancer.....right? I guess I don't need to read anything else about coolant because you never had a problem with one car with Dexcool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Then that means there isn't any problems with Dexcool? Your limited experience always trumps collective knowledge and experience. We all know that if one person has a certain problem with a vehicle,everyone with the same vehicle will also experiemce that same problem. Just like all people get cancer if one person gets cancer.....right? I guess I don't need to read anything else about coolant because you never had a problem with one car with Dexcool.

rough crowd

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Only rough if you've had problems w/it, which many have. Why use a product if there's a fair chance that it's going to cause problems? I could probably run el cheapo SA motor oil in my diesels if I wanted to-but it would cost more in the long run. Unfortunately, many (large) suppliers are touting their replacement coolants as compatible with EVERYTHING, when they actually know better.

rough crowd

If you are aware of any problems with Dexcool in a Saturn please enlighten me. I asked a Saturn Master Tech specfically about Dexcool and IM gaskets in a Saturn, his reply.... "Saturn has used Dexcool since mid 96. I have not seen any common failures that could be put on the use of Dexcool" The real problem is putting Dexcool in a poorly engineered cooling system...

As long as there is no plastic gaskets in contact with it, and you have good radiator & expansion caps & an always full cooling system, and you get all the old stuff out & use distilled water, Dexcool is probably fine-I'm just not brave enough to risk a blown engine due to coolant, too many other things to worry about!

Drain and fill the system every few years and you'll be fine. Dex-Cool or not. Dex is okay as long as you keep it up to date.

My current car had a blown radiator cap for gosh knows how long with Dex-Cool due to a previous owner's lapse. It's fine with a fresh fill of Dex-Clone and a new radiator cap. No signs of sludge and no gasket leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back