Super Tech Anti Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy AF and was wondering about Super Tech. Who makes it? On the jug it says it is good for all makes. What do you guys think?

I'd never use an all makes chemistry... too many variables. for a Ford, you can get G-05 fairly readily. Most Napa stores should carry it. Id use it, and know that I am using the exact, right chemistry.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd never use an all makes chemistry... too many variables. for a Ford, you can get G-05 fairly readily. Most Napa stores should carry it. Id use it, and know that I am using the exact, right chemistry.

Thanks for the info. Is the G-05 a Ford spec?

g-05 is the ford approved chemistry. g-05 is a basf trade name for the chemistry ford uses, but it is also the easiest to get (zerex).

i believe the wal-mart brand antifreeze is the same stuff thats right next to it on the shelf. that peak performance all makes all models 5 year/150,000 mile stuff. they both make that identical claim. ive purchased both and they look identical also (yellowish)

Last edited:
Super Tech coolant is made by CCI, which is the leading contract coolant manufacturer in the US. (See http://www.cci-il.com/en/products/antiFreezeCoolant.aspx.) CCI also makes Peak, Zerex, Motorcraft, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and most private label coolants. (You can identify CCI coolants from the bottle shape.) CCI's own P-OAT coolant technology (as embodied in Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan OEM products) is the best in the world for aluminum engines IMO. But they manufacture many different coolant formulas under contract including conventional green North American coolant.

Super Tech appears to use the same coolant formula as Peak Extended Life which appears to be the same as Peak Global Lifetime. If you read the respective ingredients labels, they all list the same proprietary additive package NJTSRN QT1, registered as a trade secret with the State of New Jersey.
No other coolant I have seen (except some other private label coolants akin to Superteach) lists NJTSRN QT1 as an ingredient.

Reactions: DR1
Thanks for all the input. I appears that ST coolant will work fine in my late model 4cl Fords.

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
Super Tech appears to use the same coolant formula as Peak Extended Life which appears to be the same as Peak Global Lifetime. If you read the respective ingredients labels, they all list the same proprietary additive package NJTSRN QT1, registered as a trade secret with the State of New Jersey.
No other coolant I have seen (except some other private label coolants akin to Superteach) lists NJTSRN QT1 as an ingredient.
No to doubt you, but, if that is true IMO you have exposed a real coup. ST and Peak Extended Life are readily/easily available at Wally World at very reasonable prices, especially as compared to Peak GL. It would also mean that ST and Peak EL does not contain 2eha, which some on this board detest. You might have some doubters on that one.

I have believed that Wally's Peak Extended Life, only available at WM, was the same as Peak Long Life sold at many auto parts stores. I recently did a flush series with the Peak LL on my Altima. I know color is not a good indicator of coolant type but Peak LL has the same yellow green as ST and Peak EL.

In any case, if your conclusions are correct about ST and Peak EL, it would sure make finding a GL clone easier and less expensive.

Prestone Extended Life (re-colored Dex-Cool possibly?) is on sale right now at Advance, and there's a BOGO rebate on Prestone's site.

Same light greenish-yellow as ST.

Both ST and Peak LL have 2EHA. It says right on the bottle. I bought two bottles of Peak LL for my Isuzu, ended up taking them back and used Napa's regular green/low silicate. I do not want any Deathcool.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
No to doubt you, but, if that is true IMO you have exposed a real coup. ST and Peak Extended Life are readily/easily available at Wally World at very reasonable prices, especially as compared to Peak GL. It would also mean that ST and Peak EL does not contain 2eha, which some on this board detest. You might have some doubters on that one.

I have believed that Wally's Peak Extended Life, only available at WM, was the same as Peak Long Life sold at many auto parts stores. I recently did a flush series with the Peak LL on my Altima. I know color is not a good indicator of coolant type but Peak LL has the same yellow green as ST and Peak EL.

In any case, if your conclusions are correct about ST and Peak EL, it would sure make finding a GL clone easier and less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Both ST and Peak LL have 2EHA. It says right on the bottle.

That would make ponderosaTX's following statement false:

"Super Tech appears to use the same coolant formula as Peak Extended Life which appears to be the same as Peak Global Lifetime."

I got confused by all the Peak incarnations. Peak EL (not LL) available at Wal-Mart, does have 2-EHA. I returned 2 jugs of EL because it had 2-EHA.

Last edited:
tig1,

Why risk using a 2-EHA coolant? You can get the "good stuff" - Zerex G-05 at NAPA. It's what I put in my Fusion.

Originally Posted By: cos
tig1,

Why risk using a 2-EHA coolant? You can get the "good stuff" - Zerex G-05 at NAPA. It's what I put in my Fusion.

Thinks for bringing me to my senses. I'll go with the Zerex G-5. There isn't a NAPA here close by. Does any of the other big box auto parts stores have it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac

If you don't even know what is in the universal coolant, why use it? Why not use a coolant that you know the chemistry and you know the performance history? That is why many of us always recommend G-05. You know what is in it, you know it works excellent and it is just as cheap as the "all makes-all models" stuff.

Is using WM coolant that tempting? I am not using any "all makes and models" coolant just like I wouldn't use all makes and models auto trans fluid.

You don't use "universal" oil do you? Quit guessing already. If you have an Asian vehicle use the Xerex P-OAT coolant.

mumble.......gripe......fume.......uummmm.....fuss......

Last edited:
I'm using Peak LL because I'm not worried about whether it has 2eha or not. It's been said on this board many times that if you service your system regularly that is most important thing. Nissan calls for coolant service every 2year/30k anyway. I've used all makes in 2 vehicles for ~5years with no issues.

Never heard of "universal oil", poor analogy. As for Zerex Asian, it only comes in 50/50, and I've not seen it anywhere. And, I don't buy any coolant that's not full strength. I always do a distilled flush series, without finding block drains, very difficult to get a 50% coolant concentration in system using 50/50.

Around me, all makes coolants are the majority of the market, easiest to find, least expensive to buy.

Chill pill?

G-05 contains silicates and no phosphates; it is not a suitable coolant replacement in Japanese vehicles where the manufacturer specifically recommends either a silicate-free coolant or a phosphated coolant. Most recommend both because the proprietary coolant formulas from the dominant Japanese coolant company, CCI, rely on silicate-free, phosphated organic acid technology (P-OAT).

Peak "long life" (Global Lifetime, Long Life, Extended Life) coolants are not appropriate for most Japanese vehicles because they contain no phosphates (according to Peak advertising). The issue regarding 2-EHA in Peak "long life" coolants other than Peak Global Lifetime (which Peak advertises as 2-EHA free) is murky. Some Peak technical consultants have been quoted on some boards (including this one) as admitting that Peak Long Life coolant contains 2-EHA but Peak has never published any statement in print on the web to my knowledge affirming this. Moreover, Peak technical consultants are also quoted in online boards issuing blatantly false misinformation such as the assertion that Mazda FL-22 coolant (Mazda's version of CCI's second generation P-OAT coolant) is merely a relabeled Motorcraft product. This assertion was made long before Ford introduced Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant, a P-OAT coolant similar to Mazda FL-22, as the factory fill for engines jointly developed with Mazda. Prior to 2009 (see
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/scuc.pdf), Ford used G-05 (Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant) as the factory fill in Ford-Mazda engines. Mazda introduced FL-22 in 2005, replacing a first generation P-OAT coolant which was the factory fill in my 2003 Mazda MPV.

Evidently Ford determined that FL-22 was superior to G-05 in Ford/Mazda engines relying on Japanese technology.

For the record, I have never seen a bottle of Peak Long Life or Extended Life coolant that specifically lists 2-EHA on the label. I am not saying that they don't exist but merely that every time I have checked they list nothing specific about the additive package other than sodium benzoate or NJTSRN QT1 which is a NJ registered name for a proprietary Peak "long-life" coolant package.

At any rate, neither G-05 nor ANY Peak coolant is suitable for use in most Japanese vehicles because they do not contain phosphates. G-05 is a particularly bad match to Japanese vehicles because it contains silicates. The only replacements that meet the requirements of Japanese auto manufacturers are factory coolants, Valvoline Zerex® Asian Vehicle Anitfreeze/Coolant, and Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant--which, as far as I know, are the only P-OAT coolants available in the US market.

The MSDS for Supertech states that the responsible party is Old World Industries. They are the parent company for Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back