what oil for the toyota 5.7 liter????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatsup fellas?about 3 months ago i bought a 2010 toyota tundra double cab 4x4 with the 5.7 liter v8.what oil will make this engine go like the energizer bunny,you know just keeps going and going and going?i am thinking mobil 1 0w-20 or would 0w-30 give better protection?on the oil cap it says spec'ed for 0w-20 or 5w-20.it has approx. 3,500 miles on it so still have the factory toyota oil in it til 5,000.are the new mobil 1 0w-20 and 0w-30 advanced fuel economy oils any good for this particular engine?

Follow what Toyota recommends. Any of the 20 weights will work just fine. No need to try and out think them.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Follow what Toyota recommends. Any of the 20 weights will work just fine. No need to try and out think them.

Oh, but I think we should out think them when they are using thinner oils just to get lower EPA mpg ratings. Here is a chart from Porsche that shows 5w20 is recommended for under 15 degrees and not for sustained high speed use:
oil84porscheownersmanualoilrec.jpg

Oh, but it's not a Porsche, is it. . .

Let's not forget that we're now almost ten years into the wide-spread specifying of 20 wt oils. If this stuff is so, so bad, why have we not yet seen an epic disaster of failed engines?

5w-20 has proven to be a highly satistactory lubricant for a wide range of operation. Talk with a mechanic at your agency and pit his brain on what he uses in his car.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Let's not forget that we're now almost ten years into the wide-spread specifying of 20 wt oils. If this stuff is so, so bad, why have we not yet seen an epic disaster of failed engines?

I don't think they would fail within warranty, but maybe just after the warranty is over. Even then they could say the cooked oil indicated it was abused. A win win situation for the Goliath car makers.

Originally Posted By: noi8u
Originally Posted By: ekpolk

I don't think they would fail within warranty, but maybe just after the warranty is over. Even then they could say the cooked oil indicated it was abused. A win win situation for the Goliath car makers.

Yeah because you always hear of Honda engines failing when just out of warranty. Plus all the cab and cop crown vics that fail with so few miles on them.
21.gif

Follow the Toyota oil recommendations, grade and OCI. I am an automotive tech. I work with a guy who has a 2005 toyota tacoma, 4x4. he hauls a 18 foot camp trailer, loaded for a weekend his dirt bike, fuel and anything else he needs. he uses toyota brand 5-20, and follows the Oil Life Monitor system. About 7000-7500 miles. The oil is bottled in a mobil clean 5000 bottle, i would think its mobil brand but it dont say. Follow what toyota says and you wont have warrenty issues either

I do not believe you would see any benefit whatsoever using a 0w20 oil in Mississippi, plus your selection would be extremely limited. The 5w20 is your ticket. Any of the top brands, be it synthetic, syn-blend, or dino, ought to work fantastic. Follow Toyota's recommendations on service to protect your waranty, and enjoy that awesome truck.....jr

thanks guys for all of the advice and opinions.yeah in mississippi it usually gets down to 20 degrees or so for a few weeks and in the 30's pretty much all of the time from nov-feb or so.i got like 5 free oil changes from the stealership and am gonna make them put in toyota brand 0w-20 which is the factory fill for the 5.7 liter.i do tow some but usually during hunting season and sometimes a loaded trailer,about 7,000 pounds or so.

381 HP V8 in MS? I'd go with a good 5W-30, especially pulling 7,000 lbs.
grin2.gif

Does the Tundra have that Toyota blurb in the owner's manual about using a heavier grade oil for harder use like the Camry does?

Originally Posted By: noi8u
Originally Posted By: RTexasF

Oh, but I think we should out think them when they are using thinner oils just to get lower EPA mpg ratings. Here is a chart from Porsche that shows 5w20 is recommended for under 15 degrees and not for sustained high speed use:
oil84porscheownersmanualoilrec.jpg

Mine says the same thing about 5W20.........do not use for sustained high speed driving and do not use on the turbo model. Then it lists 5W30 to not be used in temps over 50F,but it lists 10W30 can be used beyond 104F. Why 10W30 can be used but not 5W30 at those temps? I don`t get it. Old 1996 specs maybe?

yeah ben i think that it does say something to the effect of if you tow alot or high speed driving that it ok to use a xx-30 weight oil.i might go t=with the m1 0w-30 just because i can get it in a 5 quart jug at w'mart.

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
whatsup fellas?about 3 months ago i bought a 2010 toyota tundra double cab 4x4 with the 5.7 liter v8.what oil will make this engine go like the energizer bunny,you know just keeps going and going and going?i am thinking mobil 1 0w-20 or would 0w-30 give better protection?on the oil cap it says spec'ed for 0w-20 or 5w-20.it has approx. 3,500 miles on it so still have the factory toyota oil in it til 5,000.are the new mobil 1 0w-20 and 0w-30 advanced fuel economy oils any good for this particular engine?

First off; you're gonna love driving your truck if you aren't already. I've sure been thrilled with mine.

Energizer bunny? Well just be sure to follow the maintenance requirements, and it will keep going and going.

Here's my experiences with different oils. First off, the truck had cold start knocking with the 0w20 and OEM filter so i switched to 5w30 and the knock was gone and the motor was much quieter. I lost a couple mpg's in the city with the 5w30, but still got 19.3 on the hiway. Each of these oils were Amsoil's higher end oils BTW.
Myself being a beginner with this BITOG thing, i was not impressed with my UOA on the 0w20. Other's disagreed with my thinking and thought it was good for a first run. I felt i needed better protection with a heavier oil, so i went with the 5w30 and was happy with it. My truck is used 90% of the time for towing 8klb + fifth wheels and horse trailers.
I am currently running Amsoil's top of the line SSO 0w30, as it's recomended by amsoil for this motor. I don't have the cold start knock, but the motor doesn't seem as quiet as the 5w30 previously used. I'm considering switching back to 5w30, but i'm undecided as of now.
With my numerous knowledge of this motor, i'd recomend you drop the oil at 2500 miles. I've seen pics of a few oil filters changed at this time, and beleive me; you want to get it changed early.
I read your most recent post, and you say the dealer is going to change it free for 5 changes. That's fine if you want to let them do it, but i prefer to NOT let the dealer touch my truck. From what i gather, the beginner tech's get the oil changes. And for me, that is not reassuring at all. I'd just assune do it myself.

I myself don't like mobil one. But i'm very much partial to Amsoil. So you can take that for what it's worth. I do extended OCI's, but if i changed at 5k/6 mo's intervals i would run Amsoil's XL 5w20 in my truck. It's priced closely to mobil one, and very competitive as well. Plus, it's proven to show good UOA results.

These are just my findings on my truck, so hopefully this helps you a little.

BTW, DO NOT trust the dealer when they say you don't need a tranny service; EVER. Go to the transmission section here to find out more info on this. The WS fluid is not the end all be all of fluids, and it's shearing at 30k miles. From folks here, it's said to be nothing more than a blend. My truck just got it's first drain and fill with Amsoil ATL fluid at 26k miles, and i will continue this schedule every spring and every fall until 40k. Then a pan drop and cleaning and continue d&f's thereafter. I'm a maintenance freak as you can tell. All 3 diff fluids were changed at 15k miles, my psf is all Amsoil ATF now, and next will be toyota's SLL coolant exchange at about 50k miles.

If you don't choose to use those free oil changes, Amsoil's ASM 0w20 has proven itself in the 5.7L to show stellar UOA results at 5k mile intervals. Actually, it's come out very close to virgin in 5k miles. But the guy did very little towing, and his driving habits were ideal.

Let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
381 HP V8 in MS? I'd go with a good 5W-30, especially pulling 7,000 lbs.
grin2.gif

Does the Tundra have that Toyota blurb in the owner's manual about using a heavier grade oil for harder use like the Camry does?

I liked the 5w30 in my tundra, and i may switch back. What do you think?

I don't think my manual suggests anything but 0w or 5w20.

OP.....Let me know if the 2010 models do.

Jimmy Carter was President when that Porsche oil chart came out.
Note the SE oil recommendation.

It is similar to GIs charging the beaches on D Day and yelling, "Remember the Alamo!".
It just doesn't apply.

Originally Posted By: Ringo
I do not believe you would see any benefit whatsoever using a 0w20 oil in Mississippi, plus your selection would be extremely limited. The 5w20 is your ticket. Any of the top brands, be it synthetic, syn-blend, or dino, ought to work fantastic. Follow Toyota's recommendations on service to protect your waranty, and enjoy that awesome truck.....jr

I did not sleep well after that grandfatherly, common-sense, by-the-book advice. It is the kind of safe advise that you give to your children. I have never been one for playing safe, and to tell you the truth, if were my truck, I would be looking out the window right now, waiting for the brown truck to pull up and deliver my case of Red Line 5w20 !!! Drive hard....hunt hard....live life......jr

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
thanks guys for all of the advice and opinions.yeah in mississippi it usually gets down to 20 degrees or so for a few weeks and in the 30's pretty much all of the time from nov-feb or so.i got like 5 free oil changes from the stealership and am gonna make them put in toyota brand 0w-20 which is the factory fill for the 5.7 liter.i do tow some but usually during hunting season and sometimes a loaded trailer,about 7,000 pounds or so.

I doubt the dealership has any Toyota brand oil in the service department, possibly in the parts department. My local dealership uses Castrol products.

I previously had a 2004 Tundra with the 4.7L V8 and I like the "feel" of Mobil 1 in it and currently have 2004 Sequoia with the 4.7L V8 and am currently running Pennzoil Platinum and don't care for the "feel" of it. I'm going to give German Castrol a chance in about 500 miles.

Go with the most expensive oil that the dealer includes for free and rethink the situation at a later date. Probably stay conventional or blend for a change or two just be make the people that worry about break in feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back