Ester content in Pennzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Esters, AO's, ashless AW additives etc. PP has esters too btw.

PP has such value and performance because they use Shells famous Group III base oils in conjunction with a top notch additive package. The Group III+ base oil they use may not be good for 20k miles, but for reasonable drain intervals it will hold up as good as any PAO based oil IMO. UOA's show this to be the case.

Buster, help me out on this.

I found this MSDS sheet for 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and have identified the following ingredients:

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light paraffinic

Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate

Molybdenum disulphide

It also says: "Blend of polyolefins and additives"

How do you identify Ester content in Pennzoil Platinum?

If memory serves me right, PP 5W-20 has some ester content in it. Not too certain on the other viscosities.

I was under the same impression Falcon_LS, as that is how they get down to business with sludge and their 46% cleaned out in the first change Marketing.
wink.gif

I found the MSDS for PP 0W-20 but nothing that flat out indicates Esters.

I don't know, it seems like speculation at this point. That's why I was wondering if Buster knows something we don't.

Interestingly, I pulled up the MSDS for Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 and it spells out "ALKYL ESTERS" right there.

Guess I was looking for something similar in the PP MSDS since it's claimed to have some ester content.

This is something you can't find out. PP does contain some esters Johnny said. As to which ones and how much, no one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back