Anyone know the viscosity of Bardahl no-smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up an old 92 Plymouth Voyager with the Mitsu 3 liter V6 a week ago for 250 bucks. It runs quite good but it's a little smokey. I bought a bottle of Bardahl no-smoke and put it in the engine and the smoking has been reduced noticeably. I was just curious as to the viscosity of the stuff. Oh, also, does this stuff have any anti-friction/anti-wear or any other additives, or is it just a thickener?

Those engines are notorious for valve seals problems and so thickening up the oil will help but nothing less than replacing the seals will fix the problem completely.

Good reliable engines that run forever as long as they have enough oil and aren't overheated.

You could run 20w50 in the engine until the cooler temps get here and then go to a 40wt then a 30wt as the temperature gets colder.

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

The real problem with the 12-valve 3 litre are the valve guides. Replacing the seals alone will only be a band aid fix, unfortunately.

Seeing the vehicle is a '92, repairing the issue will probably cost more in labour than the vehicle's worth. The best solution to the problem is to use Lexus-branded 5W-40 full synthetic. Consumption will be around a litre every 3,000 miles. If you top it up at the 3,000 mile mark, you can change the oil every 6,000 miles. Anything beyond that, and the oil will be too thin to withstand consumption.

That stuff is incredibly thick, thicker than Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is what I would use for this sort of thing.

IMHO your best bet is a high milage oil in the correct weight, fortified with something like Lucas Oil Stabilizer to make it more substantive.

What you are shooting for is a combination of thin oils that will creep and lubricate as well as thick oils that will stay behind and prevent blowby and dry starts.

You may also want to look up "Restore" engine treatment which contains soft metals compounds that are supposed to seal up rings and things. Seems to have gotten good reviews.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Those engines are notorious for valve seals problems and so thickening up the oil will help but nothing less than replacing the seals will fix the problem completely.

Good reliable engines that run forever as long as they have enough oil and aren't overheated.

You could run 20w50 in the engine until the cooler temps get here and then go to a 40wt then a 30wt as the temperature gets colder.

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

I wouldn't use a single 30 or 40 as the temperature gets colder! Single 40 is only good for over 60 degrees and single 30 is only good from 30-90 degrees unless you use the Amsoil ACD, which I think everyone should use.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
That stuff is incredibly thick, thicker than Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is what I would use for this sort of thing.

IMHO your best bet is a high milage oil in the correct weight, fortified with something like Lucas Oil Stabilizer to make it more substantive.

What you are shooting for is a combination of thin oils that will creep and lubricate as well as thick oils that will stay behind and prevent blowby and dry starts.

You may also want to look up "Restore" engine treatment which contains soft metals compounds that are supposed to seal up rings and things. Seems to have gotten good reviews.

I totally agree. When I use to drive engines into the ground I would change the oil with a can of Restore shaken well and a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak. Then if I got down a quart I would add the Lucas Heavy Duty Stabilizer, up to 2 times since you can have 60% Lucas in the oil. I included the Lucas Stop Leak in the 60%. Since the additives are so expensive I would use Amsoil so I could go 15k miles between oil changes. No point in changing the oil every 3k miles with all those additives in it. I think Amsoil ACD is the best. In stores I like Castrol Syntec 5w50 also. No need for 0w40 unless you're gonna see 30 below zero.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Nothing above 50 in the standard range or above 25W in the winter range exists. Anything higher is some company extrapolating.

Please note, I WAS BEING SARCASTIC.

Did I lay it on thick enough there? Just in case you didn't catch it this time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back