20w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I had a 89 Conquest TSi and I remember on the visor it talked about oil type, oil cool down and warm up for the turbo, etc. And it recommended 20w20 for some temps. What exactly is 20w20?

There used to be SAE 20, 30, 40. Now you probably won't find any left but the 30.

I'm sure there are more current recommendations, but I'm not qualified on that drivetrain.

The car was a 2.6l turbo 4cyl. It was my first real project car. When I sold it, it dyno'd at 373hp and 398ft lbs at the wheels. I ran GTX in it, usually 20w50. Just was thinking back. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of oil before. What would make it different than just a 20w oil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were really cool cars, some friends and I used to look for those and the Starions in junkyards for donor intercoolers. I saw like 100 of them at a meet down in Tennessee a few years back.

I assume it was just a straight 20wt but I may be wrong. When referring to straight 30wt it's usually sae 30, not 30w-30 so maybe there's more to it than just a straight weight.

20W20 strandles the line between winter oil and summer oil; from back in the 60s anyway.
It acted as a 20W on the cold weather tests and as a 20 on the hot tests. ergo: 20W20.
Doesn't Amsoil still have this?
Some folks ran straight 20W in the winter. Don't know how that worked out. Seems thin once the oil got hot.

Back in the 70's and 80's my dad used Pennzoil 20W-20 in his cars. I recall another discussion on here about it. The reason it had the 20W-20 designation versus just 20 weight (according to the discussion here) was that it was rated for winter use. That never made a lot of sense to me since I can only assume it was still going to act like a reg. 20wt oil but peraps it has different additives? I don't know.

It is a straight 20 weight, but apparently not all SAE 20 weights will meet the 20w spec's. That's what bruce381 has said, anyway. It's probably easier now ..or rather harder NOT to make a 20w-20 given the near past decade in base stock processes.

Up until about a year ago you could still buy quart bottles of Valvoline 20w. Several members here played around with the stuff and figured it was more or less equal to a 10w20. I ran it in the winter and it was fine.

Wasn't there a guy here who ran Valvoline straight 20 or 30 in a Chrysler 300 V6 awhile ago? Where/who was that?

Got it
55.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...209#Post1174209

I remember the garage where we took my Father-In-Law's F-600 and F-700 Ford gas powered trucks using that weight oil back in the late 60's/early 70's.

that spec goes all of the way back to the model a fords and later flathead v8, i have two flatheads and that is factory spec, i now run 15w-40 hdeo

I used Pennzoil 20W20 for years in the winter in my older V8's until you just couldn't get it anymore. While there may be better choices now, I never had the slightest problem running it. That was in conjunction with 30W in the summer.

I ran a 20w20 just last year actually, in a high mileage Camry and stayed in during the dead of winter. Cranks were slow but it worked okay. This spring it's got Redline 0w10. At 320k KM's fuel economy is about as good as it'll ever get on this engine, burns no oil and runs great on the 0w10 - the valvetrain is quieter than M1 5w30 on the RL 0w10! Can't wait to see how well it does in the winter

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Hey guys, I had a 89 Conquest TSi and I remember on the visor it talked about oil type, oil cool down and warm up for the turbo, etc. And it recommended 20w20 for some temps. What exactly is 20w20?

20w20 is only good from 0 to 50 degrees outdoor temperature, that's why you can't find it unless you read german on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back