Corvette Mobil 1 5w30- 4,605 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Report1.jpg

Found this on Corvetteforum.com

Engine has 12k miles on it.

LOL. I would expect those wear metals to drop significantly over time. Everything else looks good.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Which engine and displacement? 5.3L?

They never put the 5.3L in a Corvette. Unless it is the ZO6 or ZR1 (doubtful) then it will be the 6.0L or 6.2L that was standard beginning in 2008 I believe.

Looks good! I used M1's 5w30 with no so good results in my truck. Iron was a little high but that is not uncommon with M1 it seems. Let's not go there...please! It also sheared down to a 20wt in my truck after 6K miles. I switched to their 0w30 and got a much better UOA with the same amount of miles.

Where did you find this one on Corvetteforum buster? I missed it entirely! (must've skimmed through the posts too quickly over the last few days, unless this one is buried in a section I don't regularily visit?)

For 12k miles, that is a LOT of break-in material. Too much.

Don't know whats to blame, the engine or the oil, but I think it bites all-around....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For 12k miles, that is a LOT of break-in material. Too much.

Don't know whats to blame, the engine or the oil, but I think it bites all-around....

I agree. The iron wear rate is close to 20 PPM per 1K miles. Chromium is not so great too.

Hey another mobil 1 report that makes you wonder. Is it really always the motor??????? Or that mystery about wear and Mobil oil.

Here is some info from one of my old posts.

Because my last few UOAs have shown some wear (increased lead) in my 1998 Corvette, I have changed from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge 5W-30 (and as always, I use a WIX oil filter). Later, after 6000 miles or so (I go by OLM), we will see if Edge has 8 times less wear.

Oh, BTW, I am aware that you can't always consider UOA numbers to show actual wear (according to some). But, something has changed the last 3 years, and maybe it was Mobil 1's formula? Maybe it is just my engine normally wearing (it has 119,681 miles on it). We shall see.

Here are my "increased lead" readings (note: I do not do a UOA every oil change)

Miles / Lead (ppm) / (Date)

64,168 / 7 / (5/2003)

95,517 / 11 / (4/2006)

107,315 / 20 / (9/2007)

113,499 / 18 / (6/2008)

Note: Miles on oil at change were 5700-6200 miles.

Last edited:
Silicon is a little high.

With that high iron and lead I bet he races it around alot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back