Steering Rack and Pinion leaking, bmw 530i 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I've had a small leak in the steering rack and pinion on my BMW 530i...The fluid is ATF...I was thinking about using an ATF stop leak/reconditioning fluid in the power steering reservoir???
Anybody try this or appreciate your opinions...

Thanks slowlane

a lot of bmw's have more hose leaks than rack leaks.. I'd check the hoses thoroughly.
the atf stop leak won't hurt anything, it might just swell a very minute seal leak and cure everything!

I'd flush it with a high mileage ATF. Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil are some choices.

Definitely find the source for the leak. No fluid will fix a loose connection or broken hose.

Originally Posted By: EricF
a lot of bmw's have more hose leaks than rack leaks.. I'd check the hoses thoroughly.
the atf stop leak won't hurt anything, it might just swell a very minute seal leak and cure everything!

I agree. The E39 always starts leaking at the clamps and the cap o-ring (usually well before any rack issues).

I've had a very slow leak of PS fluid the last few months, but I never notice any fluid drops on the ground, and I never pay much attention, thought I check it out during the next oil change.. Yesterday I pull in a parking lot, and a bystander told me I just dump fluid on the ground..At first I thought it might be a brake leak, fluid dump on the ground from the right side, and the wheel well had fluid spatters...I pulled the wheel and no brake leak, but I noticed the steering rack boot came loose, and was dripping fluid...So I made an assumption the PS fluid was leaking at the steering rack, boot collecting the fluid and when I made a sharp turn the boot came loose splattering fluid..But it may not be the right diagnoses, will check for line leaks, actually hoping it is a line leak (Steer/rack $$$$) If not a line leak..I may try the Valvoline ATF high mileage fluid...
Thanks

Check the P/S lines under the reservoir; they tend to be the first ones to leak on an E39...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back