Magnets and Bypass Valves.....an Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I got thinking the other day.....(dangerous thing to do) and wondered if a strong oil filter magnet might negatively affect the operation of the bypass valve.

Do you think it could be strong enough to partially open the bypass valve or pull enough to cause the bypass setting to be lower?

Wow good question, I bet there will be a lot of speculation. Facts is what I'd be interested in.

AD

If you have a hard drive magnet on the end of the can on the outside, as I do, the magnet has a very weak force on metal on the inside of the can. It can't even hold the weight of the bypass spring on a Purolator, it just falls out.

So, I'm surprised it catches anything (mine are nowhere near as impressive as what I've seen pics of here) and I doubt it's very weak force (weakened by going through the can) can do anything but hold the smallest particles and probably only when they come into contact with the outer wall by chance.

based on the operation of most if all dome end bypass valves, IF the magnetic field could add any effect to a metal valve, it would act to increase the bypass pressure.

However, given the field drops off with an inverse r^2, it is unlikely to have any effect on the bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
based on the operation of most if all dome end bypass valves, IF the magnetic field could add any effect to a metal valve, it would act to increase the bypass pressure.

However, given the field drops off with an inverse r^2, it is unlikely to have any effect on the bypass valve.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I switched from a base end bypass filter to a dome end bypass filter and put the magnet on the dome end to increase the likelihood of ferrous particles being trapped before going through the bypass valve. At even a distance of 1/2" the amount of pull the magnet has on the bypass valve is very minimal. Adding likely no more than 1/2 pound to the pressure required to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back