What type of oil does Toyota use in house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what it is that they sell as Toyota oil or whatever they happen to put in your vehicle should you stop for a change. What brand? is it a blend? Just wondering, not that I plan on using it anytime soon

I think the brand name is up to the dealer, beyond the fact that it has to meet min factory specs. I have a 4Runner but I do the oil changes. The dealer, for me, is just there to do warranty work, if needed. Any service I can't or don't want to do is done by an independent shop that has factory trained mechanics in my area.

As a side note, most API conventional oils are about the same, so the oil they pick might be the one they can turn the most profit on. No matter what they say, it's economics, not any factual knowledge they may have that makes the choice.

When I lived in the UK in the mid '90's I remember hearing that Toyota recommended using Esso (Exxon) oils.

The Toyota dealership I have been going for the better part of 20 years uses a bulk oil (55 gal drums) for their bulk oil system. I haven't paid any attention to what they use for I have always brought my own Mobil One and oil filters. (in plastic 1 quart to 5 quart containers) they seem not to charge extra for this service (they currently charge 18, plus disposal fees), as I can tell it does take them longer to complete the pour vs dialing in a known amount like 7.5 quart in their feed gun and letting it rip.

[ October 19, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

Our toyota dealer used to use kendall oil... Then they moved to 76 lubricants. My GF took her integra to a local honda dealer for a few serivces while doing her undergrad college work, and the Honda dealer used 76 lubricants as well...

Weve since switched all thge vehicles to M1, at around 160k miles each.

JMH

Where I live in Germany my Toyota dealer uses Shell oil. If I drive down to Kaisersluatern the dealer there uses Mobil oil. In Ktown if I ask for full synthetic in my Yaris he puts in Mobil 1 0w-40.

Seems each dealer chooses his own supplier and oil brand.

Sure, some Toyota dealers use Castrol, Kendall, etc, as it is probably their choice as long as it meets specs. But I think the question was what kind of oil is Toyota brand oil? The parts department at my local Toyota dealer only sells bottles labeled “Toyota.” What kind of oil is this?

And just because the parts department sells quart bottles of oil labeled Toyota doesn’t mean that’s what’s in the 50 gallon barrels in the service department…

Not that I would ever take my car to a dealer for an oil change…

I saw the old black bottle toyota oil at our dealer years ago... it was indeed one of those situations where they have it on the shelves but dont use it!

They do use toyota ATF and coolant though.

I believe the bottle resembled havoline, FWIW (which is likely not much!)

JMH

The Toyota branded oil sold here in India and elsewhere in Asia is from Idemitsu which in itself is quite good.

Toyota oil in the good old USA is Mobil.

Mobil makes the following oils here:

Toyota
Honda
GM
Mopar

Conoco/Phillips makes Motorcraft

Quaker State makes Hyundai and Suzuki oils.

As for what might be in a "Toyota"-labeled bottle, I don't know, but a relative observed an oil change being done at a dealership and said they used Pennzoil, though the reminder sticker had the Valvoline logo on it. According to the guy behind the counter, those were the only stickers they had.

I had asked this question earlier and it came
back that the Toyota Oil is now made by Denso
My dealer uses Kendall unless you specify
the Toyota Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back