08 Honda Odyssey Running on 1 quart!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the dealer has entered "only had 1 quart of oil in crankcase" on your van's permanent record.
I hope you never need warranty work on your engine.

My Wife's 09 Odyssey burns more oil than I think it should. It burned about a half a quart in the first 1000 miles. It's got about 8500 miles on it now and it burned about 3/4 quart in the last 3000 miles. I'm hoping it will go down over time as it did in the first 5000 miles or so.

I'm not super pleased about this, but I don't think there's anything wrong here. I think it's more noticeable because the OLM is pointing towards around a 7-8k mile OCI. Our last honda v6 (an 03 Acura 3.2TL) asked for 3k OCIs (for warranty)and if it was down a half a quart I didn't bother adding since I knew I would be changing the oil anyway.

I'm glad to hear actually that others are reporting a bit of oil use in these very late model Honda V6's. I guess adding a quart during an OCI is a small price to pay for being able to at least double the previous 3k recommendation using the OLM. The lesson is of course that you need to check your oil. I do it every second or third tank of gas on my wife's Ody.

This thread just prompted me to check the stick on our 2008 Ody LX. It's still slightly over the full line and I'll admit I rarely check it. It was around February when I changed it last(IIRC) and used ST 5w20 and a ST filter at that. I've really slipped on my record keeping since this vehicle has an OLM and is leased. We're only at around 15Kmi and 18months of ownership, so this van sees mostly around town usage. It's never used any measurable amount between OCs and that's only about 2 OCs a year. I'll keep a closer eye on it for sure.

Joel

One bad thing about slow oil consumption in newer vehicles is the catalytic converter cleans up all the tell-tale blue smoke-I've had people tell me in the past that I probably CAUSE my oil to be low by checking it so often-but it sure beats a spun rod bearing!!!

That is the way it is these days, people drive and drive and pay little attention to basic maintenance.

My '99 Accord never uses oil, I've been keeping close tabs on it for 10 years. I change the oil twice a year. I still check the oil level frequently.

You still have to check an engines oil level on a regular basis, just like the in the old days. That is why they come supplied with a dipstick!

Originally Posted By: paul246
That is the way it is these days, people drive and drive and pay little attention to basic maintenance.

My '99 Accord never uses oil, I've been keeping close tabs on it for 10 years. I change the oil twice a year. I still check the oil level frequently.

You still have to check an engines oil level on a regular basis, just like the in the old days. That is why they come supplied with a dipstick!

Unless it's a current model BMW. They have no dipsticks. You have rely on a level sensor and you check by navigating through various screens on your idrive. Myself, I'd prefer a dipstick.

I saw a 08 Accord V6 come in the shop a while ago, the shop steward told me the valve stem seals were shot - which I am thinking is what happened here.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I saw a 08 Accord V6 come in the shop a while ago, the shop steward told me the valve stem seals were shot - which I am thinking is what happened here.

Not the first time I've heard this. Are there any symptoms that would be observable? Typically smoking upon throttle lift can be a sign of this.

As was posted before, if there is only a small amount of smoking, the catalyst could clean this up before it becomes visible.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: nthach

Not the first time I've heard this.

On an '08 3.5L?? That's the first I've ever heard of this on a newer 3.5 at all.

Having a new vehicle is no excuse not to check the oil. Many german cars burn/use oil since day one.

It literally takes 30 seconds to check the oil....do it at least every other week. I usually check mine every other fill up of fuel.

Interestingly, the only vehicle I've owned in the last 18 years that has burned any oil is our 09 Honda Odyssey. But maybe I didn't really notice because I was stuck to 3k OCI's rather thank the 6k's that the Ody calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back