Mobil 1 Highmilage 10w-30 lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Mobil 1 Highmilage 10w30 in my S-10 2.2L (LN2 engine)
and I have noticed I have lifter noise all the time but worse on start up. I didnt have it with my last fill of Castrol GTX 5w30 I know these engines have noisey lifters at start up when cold.
Is this normail for M1 oils and will it be ok is there another oil that would offer the same protection and run quiter?

Noise doesn't necessarily equate to wear or damage in the engine... Could just be cleaning the lifters... I would continue to run it for the OCI and see if it gets better. If the noise gets progressively worse then change it out early.

Most likely an oil filter issue. Anti drain back valves have to be just right for each car, and good quality filters are best.
So try a good filter - it's your best shot.
I doubt another very similar oil will fix it.

Strange. My cavalier with the same engine didn't have valvetrain noise with the dealer Castrol Dino 10W-40, or PYB 10W-40, but when I put in Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend 10W-40, it has lifter noise now. Both at startup, and when hot. It makes more when letting off the throttle at low speeds, like in a parking lot.

I also have some more valvetrain noise on my Sebring convertible with the 2.5 motor using Mobil 1 HM 10w-30. It used to be just at start up for a minute or so. Not it is on and off.

On the wifes Jetta it always made noise no matter what grade of oil was used. Till i switched to a Mobil One filter...the noise is pretty much gone. The same thing happend to my Tacoma but not as bad...that just had start up noise.

The 3.8L engine in our Town & Country ticked like a bomb on Mobil 1 5W-20. I suppose the filter could have been bad. It came from the stock of Mopar MO-090 filters I use in both the van and Dakota, but I doubt that it was bad. After only 1,000 miles of that noise, I drained that junk out and have since run Pennzoil YB 5W-20, Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, Chevron Supreme 5W-30, and Pennzoil Plat 5W-20, and none of them have made the noise the M1 did.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
and I have noticed I have lifter noise all the time but worse on start up. I didnt have it with my last fill of Castrol GTX 5w30 I know these engines have noisey lifters at start up when cold.
Is this normail for M1 oils and will it be ok is there another oil that would offer the same protection and run quiter?

I have M1 HM in my 186,000 mile '00 sunfire 2200(2.2) and no issues.
21.gif

I ran Mobil 1 exclusively in my 88 E-150 w/o issue. I tried the EP version and noticed a lot of engine noise. In December I swore off Mobil 1 for a few reasons and switched to PP. All I can say is I'm sorry I didn't make the change to PP years ago. Harmless or not, I'd rather not hear engine noises. JMO

Originally Posted By: daman

21.gif

are you running 0w30 in your sunfire I was thinking of switching to it

21.gif

Ditto. I just drained out a run of M1 10W-30 HM and noticed nothing different from any previous oils other than I used almost no oil in a 4600 mile OCI, and that it seemed to dirty a little more rapidly than the previous fills of MaxLife and Pennzoil Platinum, which is why I drained it earlier than I really wanted too...

21.gif

Me too, it actually calls for 'synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30' in the manual for extreme cold.

I have some three year old GC to use up and also bought M1 AFE...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

21.gif

Me too, it actually calls for 'synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30' in the manual for extreme cold.

I have some three year old GC to use up and also bought M1 AFE...

right a 5w30,but im running the HM to clean her up a bit,oil was dark right away but now it's slowing down,i'll do two OCI runs on the 10w30 then probably switch over to 5w30 HM or 0w30 cant decide.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Less traction on the M1 PAO base may lead to increase tappet noise, as the dynamic oil wedge is lessened under the tappet foot.

What? Please explain that for me as i do not understand traction, dynamic oil wedge, tappet foot.

Also, one thing i dont think has been brought up is that the cold viscosity of the 10w30HM is pretty high compared to 5w30s even the dinos. just a thought

Typical Properties

10W-30 HM
SAE Grade
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 78.2
cSt @ 100º C 11.79

Mobil Clean dino 5w30
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 62.2
cSt at 100°C 10.6

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Less traction on the M1 PAO base may lead to increase tappet noise, as the dynamic oil wedge is lessened under the tappet foot.

What? Please explain that for me as i do not understand traction, dynamic oil wedge, tappet foot.

Given lubricant of non-diverse, short wax chain length and a likely lack of vii the oil doesnt wrap around the camshaft like 'honey on a spoon' and provide an (overly?) thick oil cushion for the bottom of the cam tappet to ride on; instead its riding on a near monomolecular layer of lubricant or boundary or EP. Typical of PAO base syn with no vii. May cause more metal scavenging by EP ADDS v. your old fashioned conventionl, molecular diverse 10w-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz

Given lubricant of non-diverse, short wax chain length and a likely lack of vii the oil doesnt wrap around the camshaft like 'honey on a spoon' and provide an (overly?) thick oil cushion for the bottom of the cam tappet to ride on; instead its riding on a near monomolecular layer of lubricant or boundary or EP. Typical of PAO base syn with no vii. May cause more metal scavenging by EP ADDS v. your old fashioned conventionl, molecular diverse 10w-40.

I think this maybe the problem I'm having. I've always used Valvoline oil and Motorcraft filters in my cars and trucks. My 97 Ranger 2.3L has 131K miles, I was using conventional Valvoline 10W30. As soon as I changed to Valvoline 10W30 Maxlife, I had a valve train chatter noise when hot at idle. I checked my oil pressure and it was good. I dropped my oil pan to inspect the pickup screen and it was clean as was the whole inside of the engine. I installed new lifters and cam followers and still had the noise. It seemed to start with that oil change so I went back to Valvoline conventional and tried 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40. still had the noise. So I installed a new complete cylinder head with cam and valve train. I went with 5w30 because that's the weight my engine calls for. And I used Valvoline
Maxlife because of the miles on my engine. The engine is a lot quieter with the new head, The valve train still seems more noisy than it used to be. Then I was reading that Valvoline has removed the moly from it's oil. I think the problem maybe the oil isn't clinging to the cam like it needs to be to keep every thing quiet. It there still a off the shelf brand of 5w30 oil that you buy at Walmart that still has the good stuff to keep valve trains quiet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back