99 Toyota Avalon Rear Axle Hub Bearing Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current grease is white. Toyota told me it is white lithium based. That was the most detail they could give me. I'm not going to pull the hub apart which will make cleaning and repacking difficult. I had to remove the hub to get access to the strut bolts. I cleaned out the old grease which wasn't lubing anything so I can now see the ball bearings and the inside retainer. I want to replace the grease I removed and try to work it into the bearing as best I can.

Anyone know what grease will be compatible? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Koyo emailed me back that they use Shell Alvania #2 lithium complex on all their wheel bearings.

Thanks. Did a quick check for found there are many Alvania 2 greases. Was Koyo more specific?

Last edited:
nthach, I just saw your post from Aug 22. You asked exactly the same question I did but no one answered.

Which grease did you end up using? Alvania EP 2 is not off-white - it is brown. Alvania EP Moly is grey. The picture I saw of it looked much darker than the white grease i found in my wheel bearing. Who knows?

I don't want to spend $300+ for a new hub assembly. Maybe I will clean out old grease as well as I can and repack with good old castrol wheel bearing grease.

Last edited:
I ended up using a new bearing, even though it was in a Beck-Arnley box, it was a Koyo bearing and it was full of grease already. The grease was a golden brown, like Mystik JT-6 low temp or Coastal Uniplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back