Is Laquer Thinner & Varsol Dangerous to Breath In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use your ownjudgment here,but I'm 66 yrs old and have used lacquer thinner, paint thinners, ect., ect for years (usually outside) with no ill efects. Now this is on an interment basis not on a daily or weekly basis. If using in an enclosed space peobably a totally different story however, but then again is it anymore dangerous than smoking? Or for that matter driving down the road with all these nuts talking on their cell phones and/or texing, and then again we have the drunk drivers.

I realize thise this doesn't answer your question specifically, but what I'm bringing out dangers are all around us and VERY hard to escape them. Plus in todays world a lot of the chemical hazards are blown clear out of perportation. Just check out the hazerds of a flourscent bulb, and we've been breaking these for years and there isn't dead bodies laying all along the streets.

To do any good, you would need one with charcoal canisters to adsorb the vapors. The typical paper ones only stop the worst of the dust.

As long as you are careful about ventilation, occasional use is little to worry about. Smoking combined with poor ventilation can lead to sudden, severe problems.

I don't know how much a mask is going to do. They're generally designed to stop particulates... don't know that they'll do much for vapors.

I have to wash out the crankcase of big diesel engines with VarsSol pretty regularly (after doing some machine work on the block). I just bring one of our bigass industrial fans over and aim it at the engine so that it blows the fog away. Stinks up the whole shop, but at least I have fresh air. To hel1 with everybody else.

I have a nasty job coming up. Could be worth it, but all I see on their website is particulate filters. I need something that stops the alcohol in shelac.

Varsol is relatively benign, as far as vapors go. As onion mentioned above, it can fog/aerosol but that doesn't happen unless it is sprayed. Varsol is about as safe as solvents get.

Laquer thinner vaporizes readily and if you are in a confined space you need a proper respirator with the activated carbon filters. The carbon filters don't last forever.

respirator cartridges only have a 100-hour lifespan once the package is opened, not from how many times its been worn. It's a good idea to put respirators in a sealed container after use.

Originally Posted By: labman
I have a nasty job coming up. Could be worth it, but all I see on their website is particulate filters. I need something that stops the alcohol in shelac.

Ah good ole Bin? Get a good painters 3M charcoal respirator, and fit test it. If you have any facial hair, it will not fit correctly. You will get a nice buzz from Bin, and can even fail a breathalyzer test after working with it. Well vented areas are a must!

Im the CJIC (cheif janitor in charge) at the local mutilplex. You wouldnt beleive what mess people make of things!!!!! Every day i have to remove there graffiti in the bathrooms from the walls and even the Urinal's how disgusting is that!!?/ Then their's the chwewing gum that mostlythe kids stick in the beverage holders and under the seats. Nowadays that movie theater seats are covered with plush fabric, gums is not easy to clean off, especially because their is no time between shows. I have to use harsh solvents like Toluene Xyline all the time. My uncle was a school janitor Constantly dealing with solvents in removing graffitti. He also kept pidgens, which he raced (they always won!!!). The solvents defatted (???) his lungs allowing the dander and mights from the pidgen's to setup an auto immune response where his lungs tried to kill him!!! It was real touch and go for sevarel weeks. he recovered mostly well one lungs swiss cheese now but had to quit his job. Doc said no more solvents and no more birds!!!! What Im getting at is solvents can be very Dangerous even the ones that smell sort of pleasent like lighter fluid. Allways read the fine print and wear protective gear like masks gloves and googles!!

I could need one of them respiraters when emptying the dumpsters behind the theater. Sometimes a rat will jump out and their always Bugs. Imagine teh smell!!! Too bad my boss wouldnt allow any thing more than a simple face mask because I might frighten the Patrons looking like a CSI in a hasmat suit lol.

Canned answer: Read the MSDS.

In a previous post you had mentioned spraying these chemicals, that creates a greater health and fire hazard.

If you are just using them in a bucket then use them in a ventilated area and wear eye protection and gloves.

In addition to inhaling vapours, don't overlook contact absorption.
I used to be able to handle laquer thinner, I need to glove up now as I've gotten sensitive to it, 5 minutes handling is enough to give me a throbbing headache.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
In addition to inhaling vapours, don't overlook contact absorption.
I used to be able to handle laquer thinner, I need to glove up now as I've gotten sensitive to it, 5 minutes handling is enough to give me a throbbing headache.

Looks like I'm not the only one... except for me, it is more like 2 minutes.

I am a wimp using chemicals. I work on family and friends vehicles a lot. I have used lacquer thinner over the years. I am trying to use denatured alcohol, but it does not seem to have the same grease cutting ability.

I have breath a fair amount of stuff over the years, but I try to hold my breath and or walk away for a couple of moments to minimize my exposure. I also wear a particles mask with charcoal sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back