Gear box oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a marvel band saw with a 4spd gearbox on it. Unfortunately one of my former employees got overspray all over the data tag and i have NO IDEA what the make or model of the gearbox is or what type and more importantly viscosity of oil to put in it. I had it for the last 10 years and haven't changed the oil yet.

The motor and gearbox are NOT original to the saw so the original MFG of the saw (Armstrong-Blum) wouldn't be of any use to tell me anything useful.

Its a 4spd gear box with a standard 1800RPM flange mount electric motor aprox 7 HP and has an output speed around 4,500 RPM and runs in high gear at all times.

Usually the saw runs for less than 2 hours a day but for the last week its been running a full shift of 8 hours. Combine that with the 90 deg ambient temps its been churning up the oil pretty good and its starting to get a bit thin and due for a changing.

will all that said what's everyone's recommendation for a viscosity? It seems to run pretty cool as is usually less than 10 deg above ambient. Sump capacity is debatable but it looks like it shouldn't hold maybe more than a gallon. But again i have no way of knowing exactly the proper fill capacity.

The fill/drain and Vent ports are 3/8" pipe plugs

Here's a picture of the gear box in question

373356626.jpg

Yes its a marvel 8 Mk2 vertical metal cutting bandsaw. I'm not 100% sure its a worm drive. It has 2 rails that you can shift to obtain 4 gears. we just run it in high

IMHO the high RPM does away with a heavy oil and would also depend on what gear type though I doubt it is a worm gear in that it has 4 speeds? I would say a maybe a Industrial EP oil maybe a ISO 68. Send me a sample to run wear metals change it out and run metals again in a few months or just email me I'll send ya a gallon of EP 68 to run.
bruce

Originally Posted By: Steve S
+1 on the kill carb!!!

i gotta do something about them or their going to put me out of business. Its amazing how one government agency left unchecked will cripple an economy single handedly. Even people who DONT live in CA should do whatever they can to stop CARB. Or they too will be sorry down the road.

I urge anyone that comes across this to visit the link in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back