Got a new printer... SUPERB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my old Samsung SCX-4200 B&W Laser Multifunction finally died on my this morning in the middle of a print job so I went to Staples and bought a new HP Colour Laserjet CP1215 and it is superb.

It's not a multifunction because I didn't one this time around but I wanted a colour laser because of some of the stuff I have to print in colour for work.

Anyways it is awesome. It's quiet and pretty fast and was only $155!
shocked2.gif

CA734828_1_enl.jpg

Info Here:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=734828&affixedcode=WW

I love Canon so that would be a plus. Was never a fan of HP in the past because I found their printers to be unreliable (especially the older Deskjets that had the wheel paper pickup system which seemed to be problematic). I also didn't like how their printer software monitors etc. would take over your system and be a hog on resources back when system resources were very limited due to technology at the time.

They have come a far way and I was very impressed with the build quality of this unit as I mangled the one at the store looking at it.
whistle.gif

Anyways... I had an old Canon laser that was about 15 years old when it finally died. That thing was a workhorse and a half.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
Congrats Stevie....now I want to go buy me a bread maker....
27.gif

Had one and the novelty wears off after about a couple of months... We are of Italian heritage and love our bread and even we lost the love for it... Sits in the cupboard now.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I like my HP.

I'm liking this one a lot so far!

I love my HP 1022 LaserJet; Not the quietest, and not the strongest build, BUT: has served us for a long time, prints great, and still going strong...

No I have a friend that works at the service depot for HP in Mississauga and so I can get it fixed for free. Another reason I bought HP this time around.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Was never a fan of HP in the past because I found their printers to be unreliable (especially the older Deskjets that had the wheel paper pickup system which seemed to be problematic).

It's funny that you say that, as the OP is talking about a Laserjet. I've experienced the exact opposite with Laserjets. The older ones were priced and built like tanks and ran six figure print counts before any significant service. Our LJ IIIs and IVs were made in Japan and we only dumped them because of the print speeds. I still have a 6P at home that has well into five figures on the odo and remains bulletproof. It's the newer LJs (the models with 4 digits) that give us all the problems. We're not even talking about the newer consumer grade models. I don't think I'd buy a new HP today for personal/workgroup use, as there are better choices, IMO. But the old LJs were the gold standard and built for workgroup/enterprise duty. I still remember the ones from the early '80s that took up half a table, cost several thousand dollars, and ran all day long, day after day after day.

The one advantage that HP still gives with LJs is superior enterprise level management utilities. That can be more valuable than the hardware in that environment. Not much value for small setups, though.

Deskjets were admittedly consumer grade from nearly day one, and Epson made a much better ink sprayer IMO though the '90s and into the early '00s.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Ahh, you have an inroad most people don't have with HP support.
Yup.. Happy to have it too... Can get cartridges for next to nothing... You wouldn't believe the markup on those things.
shocked2.gif
Would love to share but I can't...

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
... The one advantage that HP still gives with LJs is superior enterprise level management utilities. That can be more valuable than the hardware in that environment. Not much value for small setups, though. ...

I dunno about you but $155 for a colour laser screams value to me...
21.gif

$155 for the printer. The consumables kill small businesses though. As does the lack of reliability in any newer HP model.

I completely concur with VolvoHead's HP assessment. HP LJIII and LJ4 printers would easily last 10-15 years. HP4250/4350's barely last 2 years. We bought 4 of these. All 4 have needed expensive repairs. That was enough. Xerox 3150, 3260, 3500, 3600, 4510 and 8860 models have given us excellent service. Canon's for inkjet models.

But, you know someone in HP support, that is golden! :)

Yup golden... Plus for the price if I get 2 years out of the printer who cares... It was cheap... I don't print a ton out of it, just some forms and job-aids in colour... That's all.

shocked2.gif

Did you get this through a friend or what? The website I clicked on said $300 clams.

Can't really go wrong with an HP printer. I've had a PSC 1315V I got got on sale at Wallyworld a few years ago. Works flawless. The only hickup its had is I can't use the scan button on it when it is hooked up to my Vista machine. Some kind of compatibility issue. Which reminds me I need to look at HP's website and see if they ever resolved it.

I dunno about you but $155 for a colour laser screams value to me...
21.gif

I dunno . . . about $200 for a full cartridge change screams disposable printer to me . . . unless it breaks first.

The original factory cartridge set on your printer lasts for all of 750 pages. That comes out to over 20 cents a page if you simply replace the printer. At least the replacement cartridge lasts for 2200 pages . . . or 9 cents a page.

If that's your definition of value, who am I to argue.

But that's where the disposable printers bite you, on the consumables. Toner costs on average under 2 cents a page on a 6P. After about 5 thousand pages, it's ahead of the disposables on cost. I think I'm many, many times past that by now. But I am living in B&W.

EDIT: I see you may be speaking in Canadian dollars. If so, all my numbers are wrong. The cost per page with that new color LJ would be that much higher.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
shocked2.gif

Did you get this through a friend or what? The website I clicked on said $300 clams.

Cheaper still:

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-cc376a-aba~7HEWD0Q2.htm

But it's the cost per page based on consumables that tells the tale. The factory toner charge is light.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
shocked2.gif

For some reason it is $300 USD but only $155 CDN. Click on my link above you will see... staples.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back