Disc caliper grease?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been told you need to buy "synthetic caliper grease" vs using a wheeling bearing grease. Well now that I've been edumacated on grease on here, how does caliper grease fit into all this? I have a new tube of Synpower Grease sitting at home. I was eyeing that but figured I'd ask first. prior I've always used Ford syn brake grease (clear IIRC) or CRCs syn disc grease (grey).

you applying this on the back of the brake pads, or you gonna use it on guide pins/sliding components shielded with rubber boots?

standard petroleum greases will swell the rubber seals potentially causing issues. Caliper greases seem to be silicone-based with ceramic or moly components to them. Others have discussed this in far more detail, and I am sure will weigh in here.

I know Sil-Glyde works. I would think the outer components of a caliper would be made with rubbers that resist hydrocarbons including regular greases.

Use a dedicated product.The last thing you need is the rubbers swollen up to the size of an elephants trunk.
True it may not happen but why take the chance,brake grease is just too cheap to mess around.

10-4 guys. didn't even think about the slide boots. I'm using it on the slide pins. On the back of the pads I use a rubbery Spray; Napa Brake quiet. others also make it. It's the best stuff. put your shims on and then spray the back of the pad (with shims on) let it dry for about 1hr and good to go.

I use Molykote M77 for my caliper lubrication needs - unless its the seals and boot. Then I use Sil-Glyde.

Did some searching around. I'm going to use either Permatex's Silicone disc lube or their new primo ceramic lube. Totally forgot about that stuff... I've been away from cars to long. Either one of those should be more than enough. I'm at the 41k mark and bought the car used a few weeks ago. Looks like the previous owner/dealer just threw pads on it. Brakes kinda drag when you spin the wheel compare to what I'm used to. Just need a good brake Inspection/overhaul. Turn the rotors or replace them if to thin. Flush about 2qts of Synpower Dot 3/4 through it, and clean the slides up and spray the pads down with the quiet tack spray. Back in business in no time. It's really amazing how many shops/people to shabby brake jobs. I've always done mine like they were brain surgery. I torque every bolt down, anti-size, Syn caliper lube, spray etc. I'm crazy with it. Get my rotors down to less than .003" of runout.. I've always had good brakes on my car. Not sure why others neglect brakes so much.

I had this same thing come up a few months ago. I had originally used bearing grease on the brakes, but after checking, the risk was too much.

I picked up some CRC Syl-glide type stuff from NAPA for about $6. I figure this one tube will last me the rest of my life.

Originally Posted By: 4x4taco
Did some searching around. I'm going to use either Permatex's Silicone disc lube or their new primo ceramic lube. Totally forgot about that stuff... I've been away from cars to long. Either one of those should be more than enough. I'm at the 41k mark and bought the car used a few weeks ago. Looks like the previous owner/dealer just threw pads on it. Brakes kinda drag when you spin the wheel compare to what I'm used to. Just need a good brake Inspection/overhaul. Turn the rotors or replace them if to thin. Flush about 2qts of Synpower Dot 3/4 through it, and clean the slides up and spray the pads down with the quiet tack spray. Back in business in no time. It's really amazing how many shops/people to shabby brake jobs. I've always done mine like they were brain surgery. I torque every bolt down, anti-size, Syn caliper lube, spray etc. I'm crazy with it. Get my rotors down to less than .003" of runout.. I've always had good brakes on my car. Not sure why others neglect brakes so much.

No need to use disc brake quiet spray if the pads have shims, which most do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back