Any wheat beer fans around here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently tried some Franziskaner... I thought that the sediment at the bottom was a dirty bottle and was getting ready to return it, but then read on line that that's the whole idea... lol.

Anyway, which other wheat beer would you recommend?

47a57195-4177-4132-9235-0042296ad1ce.jpeg

Franz's regular wheat isn't their strong point. Their dark weisse is much better than the regular. From personal experience, I would recommend Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner. I've never had this but people have raved about Ayinger and Weiphansteiner to me..

Schneider Weisse is a good Hefeweizen.

I also like American Wheat beers. They have a slightly different "crisper" flavor. Pyramid and Full Sail come to mind.

For German you can also branch into Dunkelweizen, and the Bocks. If you are feeling really adventurous try some Berliner Weisse!

The Belgians also make some great wheats.

New Belgium Brewery's Sunshine Wheat and Mothership Wit are both interesting examples from my neck of the woods. I homebrew a ton of wheat beers in the spring and summer months so my palate doesn't get much commercial flavor any more.

Hoegaarden wit bier (white wheat beer) and Erdinger. Hoegaarden is very light with a hint if citrus, good for summer. Erdinger is a very well balanced wheat beer with a good combo of wheat beer with some pilsner. My favorite is Wiekse Witte, but I cant find it in NA. Similiar to Sam Adams Summer Ale and White Ale, but less of that candy taste.

Oh, and the Franz Dunkel or dark wheat. Almost like a banana split, good winter desert beer.

I LOVE MY BEER

Last edited:
Blue Moon!

Just kidding, I realize that's the McDonald's of wheat beers.

I second the Hoegaarden as my all-time favorite, but it's not a pure wheat beer like some others mentioned.
For a real one, Hacker-Pschorr. Hofbrauhaus makes a great one as well.

New Glarus has two I have had a lot this summer on a hot day Cracked Wheat,and Dancing Man Wheat both good Craked wheat my first choice, and if you like a dark wheat Black Wheat is good also. should be able to find in your area.

Originally Posted By: dave123
New Glarus has two I have had a lot this summer on a hot day Cracked Wheat,and Dancing Man Wheat both good Craked wheat my first choice, and if you like a dark wheat Black Wheat is good also. should be able to find in your area.

I was in WI this summer and Spotted Cow was on tap everywhere. Decent beer IMO!

The ingredients are grown on Washington Island. I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Wasn't able to find Hoegaarden, but I found Hacker-Pschorr. Good stuff, but then I thought the Franziskaner Weiss was pretty good, too.

A Bud is actually not too bad once in a while. But I like to experiment, too. So many beers, so little time...

Originally Posted By: Oilpants
A Bud will do for me its the King of beer!!

Ummm that's hilarious! If a Bud will do you then I guess thanks for that means more good beer for me!

Dude you've got to get out more!

The stuff at the bottom of the bottle is yeast from the bottle fermenting process.

Hoegarden pronounced Who-garden = Right On!

Surprisnly Shock Top Wheat by Bud is decent too!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
No one has mentioned Widmer yet. It really is the best wheat beer.

It's good.

I don't know anything about wheat beer, but I remember getting Hoegaarden at Trader Joe's in a make your own six pack. I think I liked it, but I can't really remember.

I have had Blue Moon too. Didn't really like it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't know anything about wheat beer, but I remember getting Hoegaarden at Trader Joe's in a make your own six pack. I think I liked it, but I can't really remember.

I have had Blue Moon too. Didn't really like it.

I had a couple of Blue Moon beers at a friends house. I didn't even recognize it as a wheat beer. .

It wasn't a bad beer, I might even buy some myself, but not if I was looking for a wheat beer.

Quote:
I had a couple of Blue Moon beers at a friends house. I didn't even recognize it as a wheat beer. .

It wasn't a bad beer, I might even buy some myself, but not if I was looking for a wheat beer.

Blue Moon is just one of Coors' flavorless masterpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back