Excellent & free real-time defrag utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an excellent hard drive defrag utility that is fast & free. Smart Defrag is easy to install, has very few settings and optimizes in real-time and/or according to a user-defined schedule. It is perfect for laptops and desktops alike and has virtually no footprint.

Smart Defrag places frequently used applications in optimal locations on the hard drive, reducing read times and the time required to open these programs. It also has a decent support forum (rare for freeware) and is updated every few weeks. Definitely worth a try if your looking for a real-time defrag utility.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Thanks for the link.

I use the newest version of Auslogic Disk Defrag. It allows you to set the schedule of when to defrag (overnight for example) or when the system is idle so it is always keeping your files defraged.

It uses next to no resources too!

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Thanks for the link.

I use the newest version of Auslogic Disk Defrag. It allows you to set the schedule of when to defrag (overnight for example) or when the system is idle so it is always keeping your files defraged.

It uses next to no resources too!

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

Thanks for the info & link! I will have to checkout Auslogics. I used to use their registry defrag when it was free, but I think they started to charge for it. Have you had a chance to play with Windows7 yet?

I have just played with your defrag program and while it is very similar to Auslogics it would appear that it can't defrag a lot of files that are marked "immoveable" whereas I don't encounter this with Auslogics which I ran right after... Not sure why...

As for Windows 7, other than it being faster, and having some newer features like being able to shake the mouse to make windows do fun things it really isn't much different than my "now stable" copy of Vista I have running.

I just surf the web mainly on this comp. so I don't need anything more than XP really, but it came with Vista.

Not going to upgrade when it comes out because I don't need to.

I'm also thinking about moving to a Linux platform after this Vista is outdated because I'm technical enough to make it work properly and its free. I like FREE.
grin2.gif
Also there is a ton of support these days so making stuff work is pretty easy now and not the uphill challenge it once was.

Steve

So far Windows7 Pro has been a pleasure compared to Vista. I bought a $350 Acer with an Athlon X2 processor, wiped the hard drive and installed the 32 & 64 bit RTM builds, but decided to stick with 32 bit for now.

I like being able to maximize windows by dragging them to the top/bottom of the screen. The ability to auto-size windows to take up 1/2 of the display by dragging them to either side of the screen makes moving files and folders a breeze, especially on my widescreen monitor.

The "Superbar" took a little getting used to, but I like to have an uncluttered desktop and being able to preview, select and open specific windows from multiple instances of applications is really nice.

Finally, the ability to "tone down" UAC is wonderful. Vista pestered me with an "Are You Sure You Want to Do This" UAC prompt when I opened the built in Windows Disk Defrag utility for goodness sakes. UAC even prompted me once when I wanted to change the name of a desktop shortcut!

If you want to try Linux, I recommend Mint Linux and PCLinuxOS. Mint Linux worked perfectly on my Dell Latitude D630 laptop and is based on Ubuntu. PCLinuxOS is user friendly as well. Both of these Linux distros have a lot of eye candy and you will not need to worry about defragmenting, viruses, spyware or malware. You probably already know about Distrowatch, but here is the link if you want to look at some of the various distros:

http://distrowatch.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back