0w-40 viscosity engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mobil did some engine tests switching from a mineral oil to Mobil 1 and saw increased wear metals in UOA. Engine strip down actually showed less wear in comparison to the mineral based engines."

Blasphemers should be BOILED IN NON-DETERGENT OIL !

All good men of faith know how many PPMs of Fe can dance in a drop of oil, and verily, know the TRUE WEAR as divined by such.

Me too. RL 75W90NS in man transmision and 75W90 in diff. RL in the p/s and did run RL 5W30 in the engine (to expensive here to continue). I'd Use Molakules stuf if I ever drain it..s

quote:

JAG how long did you run RL though? It's sometimes good to run an oil for 2 changes before switching bc some consumption is normal. BTW, I don't necessarily agree with that Mobil Fe explanation but it is a theory some have.

Yeah I agree about doing multiple runs of it. I used it about 4 times at 5k intervals. After seeing the crazy consumption, I went back to other oils for a few intervals. Consumption halved. Thought it was a fluke, so I tried Redline again, and consumption doubled again. At that point, I gave up. The tranny oil thing blew me away too. It was dripping out onto the exhaust headers! It's all very strange since many people use these products and don't experience this. Maybe my car was cursed! The engine did sound noticeably smoother with this oil than others I used. And let me repeat again what I said earlier about the high temp tests I did on the 10W-30 Redline: it was incredibly resistant to breakdown/leaving deposits&sludge/evaporation. But oh man, it develops the most horrible odor and turns very dark when it is brought up to very high temps...that's a trait of these esters. Recently seeing how clean VAD's engine was after using Redline did not surprise me.

JAG, was the engine older? RL could have been cleaning out crud built up around the engine seals exposing leaks.

quote:

JAG, was the engine older? RL could have been cleaning out crud built up around the engine seals exposing leaks.

Not at all old. I bought the car new and I put the Redline oil in at 4000 miles as my first oil change. I probably will never be able to explain why this happened...but I'm left with a fear of using it any other engine now.
frown.gif

"0W/40 oils, even the best, are not very shear stable. Even the top quality ones are based on very thin 2cSt PAO plus a lot of VI improver, so in the long term it is the high temperature viscosity that suffers.

A good 0W/40 will provide good protection on start-up, and it will be better than a 10W/40, but only in very cold conditions. (0W was originally an Arctic spec.) A good compromise for all North European climates is 5W/40.

Top quality ones are based on 4cSt PAO, and a smaller amount of more shear-stable VI-improver. And remember! The difference between 0W and 5W is not a big deal.

A 0W has to be less than 6200cP at -35C, a 5W less than 6600cP at -30C. Our side of the Arctic circle, the difference isn't worth bothering about.

John Rowland (Silkolene Chief R&D Chemist) "

Quote:

You will find tha Mobil 1 will clean your system and the detergent/dispersant system will hold more particles in suspension (ie your normal oil may be dropping out wear metals in sludge at the bottom of the sump which is not seen in your oil sample). You should also remember that the wear metal analysis done by most UOA labs is based on ICP and the wear metal particles reported are less than 10 microns in size. Some of the iron you are seeing is in the form of metal soaps which will be more soluble in a good detergent/dispersant package.
Mobil did some engine tests switching from a mineral oil to Mobil 1 and saw increased wear metals in UOA. Engine strip down actually showed less wear in comparison to the mineral based engines.

This is interesting. Forgot about this thread.

This is the thread that caused me to join so I could participate. If I had known that Doug would quit posting here because of it, I would have stuck up for him rather than give him grief. I miss the guy! [I read here for years before signing up.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back