Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
9.04...a substantial upgrade over 8.04 in a desktop environment. I'm running it on my 2ghz coreduo (not core2duo) laptop with radeon mobility 1600 and it flies. Even my girlfriend uses it and she wasn't even aware that it wasn't Windows. :)

I never even heard of it, but just went and looked at it and it seems pretty cool. I was thinking about installing in on my second laptop. Couple of question though. I've heard about driver issues? Also, will it wireless network with my computer running vista? Can I transfer files back and fourth over my wireless? And finally, if I have vista installed, and I install the ubuntu, will it allow to install without clearning out the hard disk? for example, will it have to format or anything in order to install?

Quote:

9.04 is a huge improvement. Your 8.x will download the update if you tell it to...

I think the updater only updates to the current LTS, not beyond.

I dual-boot XP SP3/Hardy on a 3 yr old Dell XPS420. Hardy is so stable...it's scary. I plan on keeping it until the next LTS comes out. On the 1 yr old Dell Inspiron 530, I dual boot Vista SP2/Jaunty. I like Jaunty very much. It has needed a little tweaking (so did Hardy) but no real problems so far.

9.04 for most of the systems I admin for friends/ family/ neighbours/ clients, with a few exceptions where the newer kernel doesn't play nicely with the web cam driver I am using a for few folks. 8.04 fits the bill nicely in those cases.

I should note, though, that I am planning on migrating *all* of these folks from Ubuntu to Debian, as it's become pretty clear that Ubuntu's only saving grace over it's Debian roots is ease of installation and administration, which I do remotely for everyone from my Slackware system at home. Putting up with some of the Ubuntu bloat and marginal instability isn't worth it when I can set up a Debian Lenny system and pretty much forget about it.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
I never even heard of it, but just went and looked at it and it seems pretty cool.

It's just one of about a gazillion Linux-based operating systems out there. It just happens to be the easiest to install and run, and most popular at the moment.

I was thinking about installing in on my second laptop. Couple of question though. I've heard about driver issues?

You've heard well! Yes, drivers are always an issue, in that you'll kinda hafta make sure your stuff will work. If there is an indication that it will work (there are lots of sites dedicated to keeping up-to-date info on hardware compatibility), then it will likely work better than under Windows, with either no or little installation necessary of any drivers.

Also, will it wireless network with my computer running vista?

Yup, although that is more a mater of setting up your router and both computers to facilitate it. Not a big deal, nor is it complex; I have various Linux-based systems as well as Mac and M$ systems in my home network and they all play nice with each other.

Can I transfer files back and fourth over my wireless?

Yup.

And finally, if I have vista installed, and I install the ubuntu, will it allow to install without clearning out the hard disk? for example, will it have to format or anything in order to install?

I've never done this, but I know Ubuntu will ask you what it's supposed to do during the install (like installing on the free space on your drive without buggering up Windows, etc.) *and* from what I've seen of the newer versions, it can actually install itself, somehow, *in* your Windows filesystem.

If you want to play around with it, though, you can actually download and install a "live CD" that will boot from the CD and give you a functioning desktop system to play with. Be aware that running it from your CD will give you a very, very, very slow system, but it will not touch your hard drive in any way and will serve as an excellent (temporary) demonstration of the operating system.

This machine dual boots into Linux Mint (Ubuntu-based, just prettier and better menu system) which is also nice. Once the busy season ends at work (couple months), I'm going to try getting back into Debian and Slackware again.

I didn't have any issues with drivers. Ubuntu 9.04 found everything on my approximately 2 year old Asus W3J laptop (audio/ATI Radeon/wireless/ethernet/bluetooth/etc). I went from bare metal to actually using the machine in about 20-30 minutes.

It's amazing how much speedier an old laptop feels with Linux, especially now that it's not wasting cycles on anti-virus and anti-malware cruft.

Also, I have yet to have any stability issues and my laptop sees a lot of use. I use it daily, often tethered to my 3G phone for mobile broadband connectivity. No complaints at all.

8.04, I decided to upgrade to long term release only. I have tons of tweeks on my system that take me a few hours to get all working after an major update.

Triple boot 8.04/9.04/XP although mostly XP because my camera is rubbish under Linux. But I do like 9.04.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Triple boot 8.04/9.04/XP although mostly XP because my camera is rubbish under Linux. But I do like 9.04.

Do you mean your still photo camera? Video camera? Or a web cam? I've been through the ringer setting up all of the above, so maybe I can help.

Originally Posted By: NJC

Never found a Linux driver for mine, but I can put the card in the slot in the printer and transfer pictures to the hard drive without one.

My camera shows up as a USB drive, but I usually just pop out the flash card and use the built-in flash card reader in my laptop instead.

9.04 on my main desktop
Xubuntu 8.04 LTS on two servers
Edubuntu 8.10 "virtulized" on my son's Windows XP machine

9.04 is rock solid and you can't go wrong with it.

uc50 - it is my Canon digital. F-Spot seems to detect it OK since I deleted the database ... it's not so much the actual camera that's a problem, but the accompanying software (Picasa). Picasa works WAY better in XP.

8.04.3 was on my Sony that I'm currently selling, now it has a factory image of XP re-installed.

9.04 on my newly built desktop

I had 9.04 on my laptop, but nuked it and went back to Vista in prep for Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back