Cannister Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2007 Ford Fusion and it has the cannister oil filter. It's just a little more sloppy to change, but how are these types of filters as far as there filtering ability compared to spin on filters? I bought my filter at AAP and went with the Pure One. While at WM I checked what they had and was very suprised to see the Fram, don't cuss, looked better than the MC. Went to AAP and there isn't a M1 filter for that engine yet.

Last edited:
Do you mean 'cartridge' oil filter? Canister is a spin-on filter.

The cartridge filter on my bmw is super easy to change. Less mess than a spin-on.

AFAIK, the FRAM cartridge filter is made by another supplier, hence it looks better than the rest of the FRAM lineup.

I guess you are right. Cartridge filter. Mine is upside down so all of the oil goes down on your hand,etc. The Fram looked better than any other filter I saw, including the P1 I bought. What about the filter media?

Last edited:
The cartridge filter for my wife's L-300 6 cyl Saturn is made in Germany and seems to be no matter what brand I llok at.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
The cartridge filter for my wife's L-300 6 cyl Saturn is made in Germany and seems to be no matter what brand I llok at.

Mann cartridges for my car are made in Mexico. Knecht/Mahle - Austria.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I guess you are right. Cartridge filter. Mine is upside down so all of the oil goes down on your hand,etc. The Fram looked better than any other filter I saw, including the P1 I bought. What about the filter media?

Use a rubber glove and save your hand.

I believe the Purolator cartridge filters are rated at 99.9% efficiency at 40 microns.

I am still looking for a element for my Ecotec that is made in America by an American company. The AC PF 457 is made in America by Hengst. The Purolator L 15436 is made in America too. I just bought a Pronto 5436, made in China.

Originally Posted By: tig1
While at WM I checked what they had and was very suprised to see the Fram, don't cuss, looked better than the MC.

Actually, your most of your Fram cartridge filters are quite good. If you have a Ford Powerstroke diesel, I'd recommend one.
Maybe the engineers think that if the customer can actually see the filtering media, they make it top notch.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
there should be a drain on the filter housing for your 4cyl Fusion. just be careful as they round off fairly easy.

I saw the drain plug but I didn't have a new "O" ring for it as the filter didn't include it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back