Rear end coolant leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just flushed/changed the coolant on my '97 Ford Expedition. Not long after, I took a trip to the dump (~20 miles). When I got there, coolant was leaking out of the rear, in front of the bumper, up above the left frame rail somewhere. Also, there was coolant in the rear sill of the rear hatch. I dumped my garbage, drove home and all leaking had stopped. I'm still within the proper levels of coolant in the tank, so I've only lost a quart @ most, probobly only a pint. I have since taken the vehicle on one or two other trips w/ no leaking noted, this appears to be a one time thing so far. The vehicle does have rear HVAC. Could this be as simple as overfilling my coolant recovery tank, or an ominous sign that ther rear hoses &/or heater core's about to go...?

Not knowing anything about the rear heat setup... are there hoses and heater core running throught the floor? Would changing these suck as much as it sounds like it would?

Pablo, where are you?

Were your spent AF jugs in the stuff going to the dump?
56.gif

I'd tend to think that the rear plumbing is in need of tending to. That's a popular time for that sorta stuff to start showing it's evil side for all the fine sophistication and convenience/comfort that it's delivered for a decade.

Originally Posted By: Tommyboy
Not knowing anything about the rear heat setup... are there hoses and heater core running throught the floor? Would changing these suck as much as it sounds like it would?

Pablo, where are you?

Can't say I know exactly where the hoses are. You'll need to climb under the beast and have a look see. It just typical for any SUV to start leaking at a hose or fitting after 10+ years.

I live in Duvall. Two L's and one tooth!

Holy smokes! I did have ~6-7 jugs of my old antifreeze in the back w/ all the garbage! Although, I didn't notice the carpet being wet. That would be something to just have one of those jugs leak out on the way. What a 'duh' moment! Well, I'll still keep a close eye on it, got 181k miles on it. I'm sure if something gives out, it'll be while i'm out an a hunting trip or something. If I put the rear controls on the cool setting, will this keep coolant from flowing back there (to keep me from getting stranded)?

Did this happen before or after you removed the ADBV from your oil filter? Just Kidding!

I'm sure there's no coolant hoses that run to the back. The heat in the back runs along the floor via..piping. And the coolant you see was spilled.

Probably coolant from the flush running down the inside the frame rail,there are some large holes right under the heater hoses on the inside of the rail.
The plumbing for the rear HVAC are connected to the front heater hoses with a T and runs down the passengers side it is mostly metal where it is exposed to the elements.It crosses over to the drivers side right above the rear axle housing.There are a couple of hose connections there and also where the pipes go up into the HVAC unit on the drivers rear.It looks the same as my 99 Expy.

Might be worth studying the heater cores for their hose nipple sizes. A 1/2" to 5/8" adaptor might bypass said core in a pinch, and at 89 cents might make a good glovebox addition... if you know ahead of time what size you need.

Well, The fact that I had antifreeze in the rear sill, where the door latch is, plus the coolant was pretty clear, not the classic bright green, like from my repeated flushing, it's most likely from spilled af sitting in the back of the truck.
The dripping was noted from the drivers side frame rail all the way in the back near the bumper.

However,if something gives out, can I keep the temp controll to the cool setting in the back (or front) to get me home?
Thanks!

However,if something gives out, can I keep the temp controll to the cool setting in the back (or front) to get me home?
Thanks! [/quote]

I believe the temp control only opens and closes the blend door and you have continuos flow of coolant thru the heater core at all times. If your worried about the heater core leaking you can always go down to the auto parts store and purchase a bypass tube for the inlet and outlet hoses on the HC.

Worst case, as was suggested, you pack a simple hose mender (NAPA has a whole box full of nothing but gender changers and size adapters for coolant hoses) and a couple of clamps just for that eventful day. You can cut out the entire heater system in the engine bay if need be.

What probably happened is the coolant puked of the puke tank.
Why?
Because of air pockets that are very common when filling empty systems.
The coolant/air gets REAL hot, and expands and pukes out.
This happens a lot if it is not filled slowly and properly.
So, everything may be OK, with a refill.
Of course keep an eye on it -things will probably stabilize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back