STRANGE login behaviors (not here though)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...anybody ever have a disappearing username and password problem when logging onto a website? I mean, when you click the "Log In" button and it magically wipes away what you've typed in? This continually happens to me on only one website, whether WinXP or Fedora 11 Linux, whether IE or FireFox on XP (FF on Fedora), whether laptop or desktop, whether through my router or not, whether my laptop is at home or at the local coffee shop...

But the chief admin of the board ***INSISTS*** it is me and my firewall/anti-virus settings! And they keep giving me Window$ advice...

This is a REAL head-scratcher. ANY advice would be much appreciated! It is only ONE board- I really do not think it's me... Thanx in advance.

Moderators, please remove if this is inappropriate.

I might add that it is an "appropriate" website- I'm researching for a new washer-extractor for my home and I signed up on a laundry-related site...

The problem may be some man-in-the-middle sleazery, the more I thinks about it the more it smells like it... but why such a unique site to fool around? That doesn't seem quite right, either, but you never know...

Ho-hum...

Last edited:
Here's a long shot but not an impossibility-

Let's say the web server in question has somehow been compromised and- in an attempt to multiply the worm, trojan, etc.- decides to block a random user (me) from accessing the particular site UNLESS I drop my shields, so to speak... Fairly far-fetched but who knows at this stage? Or maybe MY machine(s) are infected and it's a vice-versa scenario...

I reckon one way I can check my theory is to install, e.g., Linux, on my laptop PC with the WinXP HD removed and with SElinux, firewall(s), etc. disabled and see if it works. Regardless, after the test I would do a clean re-install of Linux just to be safe...

It is indeed a REAL head-scratcher. Funny thing is, the auto-login via cookie works fine on my Linux desktop- go figure...

I've had this problem with bitog at work since the software upgrade but it's random. I have to clear the history, cookies, and offline sites then close down windows and reopen to be able to login. One time I had to restart the computer after doing all that. It will never work if I check the remember me box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back