AMSOIL MTF or Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
The transmission in a race car shouldn't even be compared to a transmission in a street car, nor should the drivers.

There is no comparison to a race transmission in a race to a street transmission driven daily. Sorry.

another comment that is Bul S . Dude, how many REAL DEAL race cars are out there compared to the club racer cars? Club racers do endurance races too.. . A race transmission has FAR more friction and heat b/c of the tooth geometry when compared to a standard transmission.

google is your friend, common sense isn't.. .

Last edited:
Don't add the word "club" to try to add words to my mouth or change the meaning from above. Goes from F1, NASCAR.... down to club. Add some stickers to your car.
Last time I checked, you can't get an F1 type gearbox in any street driven 4cyl economy car.

I've cut, pressed, treated, infiltrated, ground, machined, prototyped, failure analyzed, stress tested ...more transmission gears then you'll ever see or touch in your life.
What have you done besides buying a car with an "Si" badge?

BTW, Honda gears were the worst and cheapest, hint hint!

88 dodge dayton Turbo, 94 GMC sierra GT with supercharger, 95 MR2turbo, 95 civic track car, 300zx TT, 350Z, 2008 Si, a few DD hondas as I typically allways have owned 2 cars.

95 Civic with K20A2 swap. Koni DA shocks 650/850, full standalone, spherical bearings. 2550#race weight caged with driver. NASA H1 series.

I'm a member of both NASA and SCCA

Sold race car to move to AZ from Iowa. 350Z was falling apart at 28,000 mile so I bought a new Si for Fuel economy over 25 mile commutes in PHX traffic and to tinker for SCCA AutoX.

good to hear you have more knowledge in gears than I do. Doesn't mean you are correct on what on the track can translate to street cars.

If we're tooting experiance, I'm a 28 year old Mfg Engineer and have worked primarily with Lasers, CNC mills drills lathes presses, started a new factory, designed machining fixtures, weld fixutres, compressor systems, hydraulic systems for cranes, 3 million dollar paint lines and currently everyone flys with parts I build in the aerospace industry. Lucky you lol!

It's a simple fact that technology from racing gets passed down to the street. Those big racing and R&D budgets aren't just on paper weights and new computers.. .

hondas current synchro problems has many causes and not really one root cause. Main one being a 6spd tranny with close ratio gearing in an economy car. Economy car = squishy and performance is sacrificed by price. it is Silly that their R&D and previous history with a similar transmission since 2001 hasn't resulted in a more solid car.

Every tranny has a weakness and it's typically the driver 1st(learning how it works best), maintenance 2nd & mechanical 3rd in most cases. 1 crunch and the tranny is forever hurt. Good designs minimize the risk while keeping in mind the average driver and the price the customers are willing to pay.

Even m3s have tranny issues and I'm sure many exotics do to when they are driven daily by average people.. .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6spdkeg
...It's a simple fact that technology from racing gets passed down to the street...

Rightly said....the whole purpose that GM/FORD/etc race their car was to develop/prove designs and use the technology in everyday people pushers. It all gets passed down.

Today car clutches last at least 100K. I know the time when my clutches used to last only 20K some years ago.

same goes for every other part in the car, including bearings, piston rings, cylinders, gaskets, hoses,rubber parts...you name it.

I too have a long background in mechanical engineering, designed bearings for world#1 bearing mfgr., manufactured machines used in the glass industries where the machines are designed to work 24x7 at temps in excess of 1500K upto 2300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back