Oil for Honda B16 1.6L DOHC engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been soliciting BITOG for quite a while, but there's this question that I can't seem to get it over with.

Q: I've a 1992 Honda civic with a B16A3 engine swap (engine is a MY1996 1.6L DOHC 16V Vtec engine with 8000 rpm red line). Car is approximately 2000lb + driver. This is my summer autox car and i'll only drive it to the track and race it for a day and head back home. So, it sees the red line and high rev all the time. Car burns a bit of oil but not crazy consumption yet ! What engine oil would you put into this engine?

- currently Mobil 1 5W30.
- Thinking of switching to Mobil 1 5W40 TDT with Pure 1 filter.
- or switch back to conventional oil like Pennzoil YB 5W30 or 10W30 with Pure1 filter.
- or switch to conventional 10W40 oil or High milege oil

School me here !

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a Purolator Pure One 14459 or 14610 oil filter. Showed great results in my B18, even with some red lines and aggressive driving, in temperatures below freezing too!

but isn't it expensive to top up with PP? Or does PP hold up to the high Rev or track days?

I second TDT. I have run Rotella T 5w40 in a "tuned" D16 and it trimmed oil consumption to almost no oil consumption.

If you can afford the time and money I would suggest an oil temp sensor as well, though it may be overkill if you just doing auto-x

Mobil1 is fine, but Mobil1 10W-30 High Mileage (ACEA A3 spec'd) would also be good for warmer climates. I'd also consider 'German Castrol' SYNTEC 0W-30...

Originally Posted By: bwco
but isn't it expensive to top up with PP? Or does PP hold up to the high Rev or track days?

It should hold up just fine. Here in the US you can almost always find PP on sale one way or another, but up there you might not be able to..

thanks guys for the reinforcement; I was biased towards the TDT 5W40 too. But I had bad experience with heavy oil on high rev engine. But I guess this should be fine. I'll report back if any ill effects.

Cheers,
BWCO

I ran Castrol GTX 10W30 in my Built B16A on 12PSI of boost for almost 50k but I am fanatical about my OCI. I would suggest Castrol Syntec 0W40.

Yep, GTX would be my pick for the conventionals,

and Syntec or Pennzoil would be good synthetic choices.

I would personally run syntec 5w40 or 0w30.

Mobil 1 would probably burn a bit more than the others in that motor, but you could always try 0w40 M1.

amazing engine by the way. I used to be a big honda head. I had that motor in a 1990 integra. I had a friend who drove a porsche 944 turbo and bmw 328, and he was still impressed with the little ripper.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes! What filter did you decide to use and what size?

I've always run Pure 1 14459 (a huge filter) in my STi before
And I run either 134459/60 on my honda too.

But I still have a few Bosch premium filters left. I'll still use it on the Honda.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any brand dino oil is just fine for that 8000 RPM Honda engine.

The thing is, I knew my engine is well taken care of by the synthetic when my engine is operating at it's extreme condition. And I'm only changing the oil once/twice a year. So, cost isn't that much difference when it comes to Motor sports. Difference is $20/year comparing Dino vs Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Yep, GTX would be my pick for the conventionals,

and Syntec or Pennzoil would be good synthetic choices.

I would personally run syntec 5w40 or 0w30.

Mobil 1 would probably burn a bit more than the others in that motor, but you could always try 0w40 M1.

amazing engine by the way. I used to be a big honda head. I had that motor in a 1990 integra. I had a friend who drove a porsche 944 turbo and bmw 328, and he was still impressed with the little ripper.

I just found that Castrol Syntec 5W40 is on sale for $24/jug here in Canada. I'll snatch up a few jugs.
Adding to my ~100 quarts Mobil 1 5W50, I've an entire shelf of engine oil in my basement storage.

"- currently Mobil 1 5W30.
- or switch back to conventional oil like Pennzoil YB 5W30 or 10W30 with Pure1 filter.
- or switch to conventional 10W40 oil or High milege oil"

I think you need therapy... you have conflict issues.

crazy2.gif
I'm sooooo confused ??!!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"- currently Mobil 1 5W30.
- or switch to conventional 10W40 oil or High milege oil"

I think you need therapy... you have conflict issues.

crazy2.gif
I'm sooooo confused ??!!

1) switching to dino cause the engine is reaching it's 140K mile mark. So, to reduce burn off and reduce cost if I go with Pennzoil YB (which is a good dino with Group II and $10-$15 cheaper per jug)
2) Switching to 5W40 TDT M1 cause it's a tad bit thicker than M1 5W30 (groupIII) oil, but cost is the same. No cost saving.
3) Switching to HM 10W40 cause it's a bit thicker than normal Dino 5W30 plus the advantage of some gasket seal promotor.
4) Or simply no change and stick with M1 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back