10w30 "better" than 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
BuickGN, for all intents and purposes RL's 5W-30 and 10W-30 are virtually the same product; in application they're that close.
As mentioned previously, I've used them both over the years and at cold temps you'll never see and I couldn't tell them apart.

Next oil change you may want to consider their 5W-20 (I know it's sacrilege to suggest) but with a 100C vis of 9.1 cSt and a HTHS vis of 3.3 cP it's a 30 wt oil in all but name. I'm sure you'll agree it outperforms any 30 wt dino out there. If that's too much of a stretch keep in mind that RL oils are 100% blendable so if you chose to do so you could blend their 5W-30 and 5W-20 to custom tailor your own 30 wt grade.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
BuickGN loves thick oil, any oil with HTHS below 3.5 has no chance to get into his Buick and Acura engines.

Not necessarily. I would run a 0w-10 if it had an HTHS of 3.5 or greater. This is why Redline 5w-20 is perfect for someone like me. Again, the only reason I'm not running it is to say I told you so when the TL has half a million miles on it running a thicker than spec'd oil.

Honda engineers recommend dino 10W30 for S2000 since 1999. The first generation S2000, or AP1, generate about 120hp/liter and redline at 9000 RPM. They probably tested S2000 with more than 1 weight and determined that all it needs is dino 10W30. Until around 2006 they recommended 5W40 for cold climate. But clearly stated that OCI is the same at 7.5km/1yr for non-severe conditions.

To Honda engine engineers, 10W30 is more shear stable then 5W30 in S2000. But those Honda engineers also recommends M1 5W30 in Acura RDX. This leads me to believe that for API SL and before, 10W30 is more shear stable than 5W30 but it is not true for SM.

I don't think running a somewhat heavier than spec'd, slippery Polyol Ester 30 wt oil in a mild to hot climate will be proving much particularly in a well engineered Honda engine that has no lubrication issues. Certainly not enough to warrant an "I told you so". Heck if you don't rack up a half million miles I'd be surprised!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I don't think running a somewhat heavier than spec'd, slippery Polyol Ester 30 wt oil in a mild to hot climate will be proving much particularly in a well engineered Honda engine that has no lubrication issues. Certainly not enough to warrant an "I told you so". Heck if you don't rack up a half million miles I'd be surprised!

I agree, but there are the gloom and doom guys that said it wouldn't make it through the first winter. We all know it will be fine but I need something to say when I'm asked how I can be sure the thick stuff will make it last.

And it's an Acura!!! Not a lowly Honda!
lol.gif

BuickGN, thank god you are going to use a 5w so that all the nooks and crannies can finally get cleaned out.

Yeah, I'd have to side with CaterHam that eventually 10w-30 will become obsolete and some manufacturers are already there with their synthetics. For marketing purposes we probably have another decade of seeing it widely available, though.

I'm surprised so many see a really high HTHS is always desireable around here, as that also results in a reduction in fuel economy (even moreso than viscosity in one study) which is important to some people. Me... I just hang out around 3 and call it a day, but with the salt around here 200,000 is about as far as I'll take a car.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
BuickGN, thank god you are going to use a 5w so that all the nooks and crannies can finally get cleaned out.

Yeah, I'd have to side with CaterHam that eventually 10w-30 will become obsolete and some manufacturers are already there with their synthetics. For marketing purposes we probably have another decade of seeing it widely available, though.

I'm surprised so many see a really high HTHS is always desireable around here, as that also results in a reduction in fuel economy (even moreso than viscosity in one study) which is important to some people. Me... I just hang out around 3 and call it a day, but with the salt around here 200,000 is about as far as I'll take a car.

I agree, once the regular 5w-30s become as shear stable as a 10w-30, there's no point in having the 10w-30 around.....as far as I know.

Around here, the bodies last forever. That's why the HTHS is so important to me. Gas mileage differences are so small it doesn't even factor in to which oil I choose. As of now, gas is free anyway.

But yes, now the nooks and crannies will be well lubed lol. I bet they're completely dry with the syrup I've been running.

10W-30 for the most part has only been popular in North America.
With the trend towards lighter oils you'd be hard pressed to even find a 10W-30 motor oil in Europe with 5W-30 being the narrowest multi-vis 30 wt grade. 0W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40 are what is in common use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back