Comcast Digital phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched to Comcast digital phone, and my fax machine doesn't seem to work. I have one modem for High speed internet and phone service, and a splitter for the fax and phone. I figure it's because my fax machine isn't digital compatible. Someone suggested a phone filter hookup, and said that might solve the problem. Anyone have any experience with this issue. Thanks.

Your phone adapter might default to G.729 for voice. Fax and G.729 don't mix well and you'll probably have many troubles trying to fax (just the way the G.729 codec works). If they have a portal, you may be able to select something like "use this line with FAX", which will switch the line to G.711, or T.38 when a fax is detected. You might have to call Comcast if you don't see this in a portal, or they might not even support fax..??

Just found this:
Does Comcast support Fax?

Fax incompatibility list

Wayne

Last edited:
I had VOIP phone and fax. I could fax out but not receive them incoming. A google search turned up information that fax machines can't always hear the incoming signal that initializes the fax when it is transmitted via VOIP.

I have a Lexmark X4250, and can't send or receive any faxes. When I try to send a fax, I get the message "Failed to connect" after a bunch of rings. I called Lexmark, and he also suggested a phone filter. I'll try some of the above fixes first, and see if they work. Thanks for the replies.

I have VOIPyourlife phone service for over two years. I've never had problems sending faxes with my panasonic, but I don't receive faxes though.

I have Comcast Digital Phone with the ARRIS eMTA and faxing works fine. So do V.92 modem connections for that matter.

I use a faxmodem by the way. I have no idea what kind, it was in a box of stuff and XP already had a driver for it.

I've heard that some fax problems were solved by using a 2-wire line cord between the eMTA and the fax machine. I have no idea why that would make any difference.

eMTAs operate a bit differently than POTS. A older couple I do computer work for had the Comcast Triple Ply installed with a RCA eMTA, and I had the tech backfeed it to a 66 block. Works fine.

Phone filters won't work, as their job is to block out high-frequency bandwidth from analog devices so that it doesn't interfere with xDSL lines.

I turned off error correction, and lowered the phone speed to 12000. Both don't seem to work. I'm gonna buy the phone filter from Walmart, and see if that works for my analog fax machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back