1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Oil: Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30
Oil filter- Amsoil EaO20
Air filter- Wix
Total miles on vehicle = 143,314
Miles on oil = 8,319 Miles
Make up oil= None
Fuel Treatment: FP3000 in every tank

I decided to go ahead and include the results from my last OCI with the Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 for comparison to the Amsoil Signature Series oil. The analysis was done by Oil Analyzers, Inc.

Here are the comments in the report: Data flagged for observation only; Viscosity is SLIGHTLY LOW; Please provide unit model number so we may compare data to the proper standards for this unit.

My final comments: The data OAI flagged was the [email protected] . The only thing I did different between the two OCIs was running the FP3000 at three times the recommended rate in the Amsoil SSO. I wanted to see if there would be a benefit to the higher treatment rate. Did the higher FP3000 dosage cause the higher fuel dilution of 1.3% in the Amsoil? My brother is PP guy while I am an Amsoil fan. This current report caused my brother to do some crowing about how PP was comparable to Amsoil yet in spite of this result I still like and will continue to use Amsoil. Funny, isn't it?

The first column was the Amsoil@8,319 miles and the second column was the Penzoil Platinum@7,541 miles. Any thoughts or comments?

Aluminum 2----------0
Chromium 0----------0
Iron 6----------------5
Copper 9-------------6
Lead 12---------------10
Tin 1-----------------0
Molybdenum 11-------56
Nickel 0--------------0
Manganese 0---------0
Silver 0--------------0
Titanium 0----------0
Vanadium 0----------0
Antimony 0----------0
Lithium 0-----------0
Potassium 0---------2
Boron 11-------------33
Barium 0------------2
Silicon 15-----------17
Sodium 11------------5
Calcium 3109-----------3236
Magnesium 13---------14
Phosphorous 593-------779
Zinc 717--------------936

CSt Visc. @ 100C 9.2----10.3

Fuel (%) 1.3%----------------- Water (%) TBN 4.95---------------------5.38
Soot Oxidation 42----------------21
Nitration 25----------------24

Last edited:
With low metal and high TBN, it looks like OCI can be extended to 10-12k miles with either Amsoil and PP. For $1/qt after mail in rebate, PP can not be beat.

This is the part I like:
(Make up oil= None) Does that have anything to do with the type of oil used?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
This is the part I like:
(Make up oil= None) Does that have anything to do with the type of oil used?

Nope the d16y7 would run just like that on canola oil at 250,000 miles.

I can't get over how light SSO's add pack is though. Rather surprising considering it's Amsoil's signature oil, and one of their more expensive oils.

Close enough to call it even. However, when you factor in rebates PP is a $1/qt oil.........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I can't get over how light SSO's add pack is though. Rather surprising considering it's Amsoil's signature oil, and one of their more expensive oils.

Yes a little disappointing considering the price? Is there something I might be missing here?

AD

I could be wrong, but I'd assume the SSO would show very similar results as PP for shorter runs like this, but for runs over 10k miles, the SSO would probably show better results.

Amsoil SSO probably did some cleaning. You always need to run the oil for two to three consecutive OC to have a meaningful comparison.

Good point but it seems light in moly, zinc, calcium, and phosphorous to the novice eye compared to PP?

AD

I don't put much into comparisons like this but I will say Shell is making an extremely competitive oil with PP.

There used to be a Pennzoil guy on here that worked in their R&D lab (Ferndog). Would be nice to get an update on PP. Strong oil for the $$.

Can hold it's own with any of them.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I could be wrong, but I'd assume the SSO would show very similar results as PP for shorter runs like this, but for runs over 10k miles, the SSO would probably show better results.

Even though they don't market it as such, I do seem to recall some statements regarding SOPUS tested PP beyond 15K miles and it did just fine. It looks to have maintained TBN just as well as the SSO here!

PP "seems" to be improving with every tweak they do to it, very encouraging.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

It appears that Amsoil has hit the quality ceiling and the other players are catching up.

I don't think I'd go that far.

You won't see any clear advantage until you extend drains past 15k miles. Then you will see SSO's benefits with it's beefy additive package and base oils.

SSO's beefy add pack?
21.gif

Like someone said, past 12k miles is where the SSO will show its worth. PP won't look like that at 17-18k miles....

I'm not sure I follow..... The TBN remaining on the PP is higher than that on the SSO. Are we actually SURE the SSO will last longer than the PP then?

The PP also seems to have MORE Zinc, Phos and Calcium......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back