Microsoft FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next to the BSOD this is a huge fail:

msft_sux_engadget.jpg

Solaris here, while I'm working on an HP Superdome running HP-UX. Solaris is free for non-commercial use. I don't know about HP-UX.

I wouldn't call it a FAIL, per se, but instead targeting the msg to the demographic- there aren't many (if any) black people in Poland.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I wouldn't call it a FAIL, per se, but instead targeting the msg to the demographic- there aren't many (if any) black people in Poland.

I am posting this using the RTM (Final) X86 build of Windows 7, which I obtained from MSDN. It is not too much different than the RC1 build. For those still sitting on the fence, I highly recommend Windows 7 over Vista and XP. Do yourself a favor and perform a clean install of Windows 7 instead of trying to upgrade Vista.

I don't think that Microsoft put this advertisement together, but it is still a SNAFU that it was cleared for release. There most likely are few black citizens in Poland, but it is interesting that the image of the gentleman that appears to be of Asian heritage was only slightly altered. My son pointed out that in the revised version his skin appears slightly lighter than the original. I am willing to bet that someone got some "feedback" about this image today, perhaps even lost the Microsoft account.

Not to stereotype, but because we are on the subject, does the guy on the far left look Asian in any way?
I'm surprised they didn't alter his face also.

I had to read the posts and Fox News story to figure out what the issue was.
If they had put a black face on a white guy it wouldn't be an issue. This isn't a race issue that they will make this into, it was a marketing decision that could have been made by a black man for all we know.

Oh brother... You know I'm getting really PO'ed about this Racial tension.

Perhaps the problems would go away if these groups would stop looking at things with a tainted view all the time.

As part of a minority group fighting for equal rights, you don't see our community pointing the finger at these sorts of advertisements wondering why there wasn't a gay or [censored] in the ad.

C'mon people... Enough already or pretty soon Caucasian North American folks will be the minority.

Slavery and racism, while still real in some parts of the world has been pretty much obliterated here in western culture and pointing the finger at this stuff just stirs the pot and makes the situation worse by flaring tensions between the races versus everybody putting it out of their minds and the world bickering about other things which are still a real issue that don't have laws protecting those people.

If we learn to forgive, and move on without being hasty then we can truly co-exist and respect one another but each side just wants to point the finger at each other.

I mean you have companies producing commercials that always have to put in 1 Caucasian person, 1 person with some sort of coloured skin and one with Chinese/Japanese/Korean heritage so that the commercial looks unbiased and so no one cries foul.

Perhap Microsoft thought that this advertisement would better sell to a group of Europeans because it had white folks in the advertisement and better reflected what their general public looks like.

Lets assume for a minute they ran this same advertisement in Africa or India, and they put all people of colour that reflected their general public in the advertisement, do you think Caucasian people would be crying foul? This I would love to see.

I'm not racist at all, have many friends who are of Indian, Native Indian and Jamacian heritage and they all agree with me on this issue that companies are "too politically correct" so they don't step on these peoples toes and some in this community are too "look at us, who have been oppressed" and this is the result.

Sorry, but now I'm crying foul... ENOUGH ALREADY!

21.gif

agree w/ stevie. if a company has to/should/needs to sell to a particular locale, they would do well to make the people look like them. there is a well known religious group that produces literature in over 200 countries; they will change the illustrations/pictures based on the local makeup. it just makes sense.
btw, I've been to Poland and am familar w/ the culture. it is almost all white and Catholic. Americans need to realize the rest of the world is not like them, nor has the history of this country.
and, I hope this is obvious, this is NOT A RELIGIOUS POST! DON'T REPORT IT!

This reminds me a poster on the wall at work for the last couple of days. The mascot we have is a health care education dummy. She is pale, eyes closed, has a corner office used for punking new people (she looks very creepy to me). In this aforementioned poster, she is photoshopped to hold a bag and her hand is of a tanned woman.

I was waiting for someone to provide the failed translation when I hit your post and realized what the issue actually is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back