I wonder if there would be a market for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am admittedly not good at dealing with car salesman when I go to make a purchase and many of my family have been brutalized in the process (pay much more than they should).

I wonder if a person who is very savvy at deal closing could hire himself out as a "consumer car sales advocate" or something similar.

This person could work up a fee schedule that is based on a % he saves his customers. He or she would be right with you during the whole process and would do most of the talking. You would have someone who is not a pushover working on your behalf 100%. The more he saves you, the more he makes.

Sounds like a win-win

It would save people money and help those who just aren't good at negotiating with a dealer.

I can see a scenario whereby a Grandson/Granddaughter living out of state hires a "consumer car sales advocate" to go with his Grandparents and work the deal for them on the Caddy they want.

Last edited:
That already exists in most large cities, car brokers.

You can always have the dealer bring up Edmunds and agree to pay TMV, but that doesn't get around the extended warranty / needless accessories dance. Even CarMax pushes that junk your way.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That already exists in most large cities, car brokers.

You can always have the dealer bring up Edmunds and agree to pay TMV, but that doesn't get around the extended warranty / needless accessories dance. Even CarMax pushes that junk your way.

I live in a town of 8,000 people so I was not aware that this already existed. Oh well.
33.gif

The last car we bought we used Costco. They have agreements with a handful of local dealers and you get quoted a price and shown Costco's approved price list by the dealer.

We got a good price on the Acura TL we bought 3 years ago and absolutely no hassle.

Some credit unions also have arrangements with dealers that get you a good price.

A savy negotiator can probably do a bit better, but by the time you paid someone you wouldn't be money ahead.

I prefer to not spend time negotiating with the slimebuckets at dealers so find a way to avoid the process.

I bought my Corvette online from a dealer with a good reputation and saved thousands over the local yokals.

Originally Posted By: XS650
The last car we bought we used Costco. They have agreements with a handful of local dealers and you get quoted a price and shown Costco's approved price list by the dealer.

We got a good price on the Acura TL we bought 3 years ago and absolutely no hassle.

Some credit unions also have arrangements with dealers that get you a good price.

A savy negotiator can probably do a bit better, but by the time you paid someone you wouldn't be money ahead.

I prefer to not spend time negotiating with the slimebuckets at dealers so find a way to avoid the process.

I bought my Corvette online from a dealer with a good reputation and saved thousands over the local yokals.

I forgot about Costco. I have heard very good things about buying a car this way.

Off topic a bit, but has anyone who has walked into a dealer stayed less than four hours after agreeing to buy a car. They drag the process on so long.

I went in with cash for a Corolla and I still didn't get out of there for four hours. I even begged them to save the extended warranty spiel. LOL

I guess I am different but I love the negotiating process. If I could, I would buy a car every day. At least for a while. I have done it for family and friends. Not for pay though. There are probaly lots of people that would enjoy helping if you could find them.

I met a car salesman in the early 90's that was talking about starting just such a business on his own. I have no idea if he ever did, but the idea has been around for a while.

As far as time involved when purchasing a car, I've had several deals drag on, but it was more due to paperwork than anything else. I have a very simple method of buying a car. I tell the sales person "I will pay "X" + appropriate tax, title, and license fees. I will not pay one penny more. Will you accept my offer?" It has worked painlessly for every car deal I've done in the past 10 years. Sometimes the sales people just say "No" to my offer, and I move on to another dealer.

Bought the Highlander at Lexus near St Paul. Best experience ever, half hour tops, with free food to boot.

Bought the Accord at Carmax, more of a hassle but still an hour tops.

Both I had agreed to the price before I came in via the internet. With CarMax it's hard not to, I guess.

When my son bought his Honda S2000 he emailed out requests for quote to something like 30 Southern California dealers. He started getting replies in less than 15 minutes, picked the one he liked the next day, verified the quote with another email then drove over and signed papers. IIRC, he was in the dealership about 20 minutes.

He got the email addy list from an S2000 forum and didn't even have to type it in.

When my son bought his Honda S2000 he emailed out requests for quote to something like 30 Southern California dealers. He started getting replies in less than 15 minutes, picked the one he liked the next day, verified the quote with another email then drove over and signed papers. IIRC, he was in the dealership about 20 minutes.

He got the email addy list from an S2000 forum and didn't even have to type it in.

I wish I could afford an S2000. Those are very nice cars.

It would be nice to have dealer experiences like your sons. I look pretty young for 34 years old, and for some reason when it comes to getting down to dealing, I break. An older salesman will usually assume the imaginary role of the "father type who knows best".

I look at the pictures of the car dealer kids, I buy into all of his stories on how he used to be in the Coast Guard just like me, and how he has a brother who lives near the same town as me 10 years ago.

I get to thinking that these car salesmen have kids to support, etc. and I lose my will.

Then the next day I feel horrible for paying more than I should.

Not everyone if cut out to be a tough negotiator, that's for sure.

Last edited:

The last car we bought we used Costco.

Sam's Club has ( or used to have ) a similar service.

Quote:
I get to thinking that these car salesmen have kids to support, etc. and I lose my will.

Then the next day I feel horrible for paying more than I should.

Not everyone if cut out to be a tough negotiator, that's for sure.

Negotiating can be fun. Try to get one of Chester Karass's books. I found this one very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Give-Take-Revise-Chester-Karrass/dp/0887307434/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

I've negotiated for cars and salary in the US. Abroad, it's a much more accepted practice.

As for feeling bad for the car salesman... They look after their interests, and they are skilled at selling and negotiating. Even if you drive a hard bargain with them, you are still at a disadvantage because of less experience and lack of thorough information.

If you don't negotiate, it is possible that you will get scre wed.

I had a good friend who loved to do this for other people. In the last two months he helped negotiate some amazing deals on Corvettes for two friends of mine (he didn't charge them a dime for his services, he told everyone he just loved the art of the deal!). He was very experienced at buying cars, for example: in the 4 years I knew him he had 7 different Corvettes! (plus during this time he had also bought a number of different daily drivers for himself and his family too) Whenever he bought another Corvette and he told us the deal he got, we were always amazed at how great the deal turned out to be. He could always manage to get top dollar for his trade in while getting the next car at a super low price.

Unfortunately we found out on Wednesday that he died of a heart attack in his sleep
frown.gif

You could start your own business doing it. I've been reading about mortgage brokers who do the same for home buyers to get the best deal.

Originally Posted By: ediamiam
so how much of a discount can be had by going thru costco or sams?

I am wondering this too?
I also thought about being a car buying consultant, matching a car to someones needs and budget and then negotiating the deal. I've known many people that don't really know what they want and just get sick of looking after a couple car lots and buy what's in front of them and at the opening price...

There is a dealer that I've done business with a number of times in the past-always with great results. When I purchased the Caliber I walked in knowing which one I wanted, asked for their best cash price, wrote a check and drove it off the lot all in about an hour. It's a small town dealership and most of the sales staff have been there 20+ years.

They gave me a great price, no hassles and they know me by name. I can't imagine a broker getting involved would garner a better deal.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
There is a dealer that I've done business with a number of times in the past-always with great results. When I purchased the Caliber I walked in knowing which one I wanted, asked for their best cash price, wrote a check and drove it off the lot all in about an hour. It's a small town dealership and most of the sales staff have been there 20+ years.

They gave me a great price, no hassles and they know me by name. I can't imagine a broker getting involved would garner a better deal.

Just to use you as an example of how a buying consultant could help. Why did you pick a caliber over a matrix or a focus wagon? Did you know their invoice price on the car? How long are you planning on keeping the car, is bad resale an issue? What's the market value of your trade in? Did you know all the rebates chrysler was offering at the time?
How about the factory tires? are they known to be khrap? Getting them replaced as part of the deal might save a few $100, etc...

I'd see a good buying consultant not saving the client tons of money but getting them a good deal on a car they will like and having a lower total cost of ownership if that's what they want. Also alot of people don't have any idea that a Vibe and matrix are made in the same factory so they don't know to compare prices and possibley save 1000's.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Just to use you as an example of how a buying consultant could help. Why did you pick a caliber over a matrix or a focus wagon? Did you know their invoice price on the car? How long are you planning on keeping the car, is bad resale an issue? What's the market value of your trade in? Did you know all the rebates chrysler was offering at the time?
How about the factory tires? are they known to be khrap? Getting them replaced as part of the deal might save a few $100, etc...

I'd see a good buying consultant not saving the client tons of money but getting them a good deal on a car they will like and having a lower total cost of ownership if that's what they want. Also alot of people don't have any idea that a Vibe and matrix are made in the same factory so they don't know to compare prices and possibley save 1000's.

From a business piont of view it would be to much hassle and legal issues. I can already imagine people comming back and suing you for suggesting a bad car. Lemons happen to all manufacturers and they are impossible to predict. Besides, we already have all sorts of web reviews, ratings and such, so a service like that would only cater to people that look for the lowest operating cost, but fleet operators already did these calculations, so if the lowest operating cost is your concern, buy whatever big fleets operate.

Car brokers are safe, you tell them what car you want, and they will find one for the lowest price, simple and hassle free, with no possible future litigations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back