Using Amsoil in 2005 Porsche Boxster S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading up on engine oils and have read so many VERY positive thing sbout AMSOIL motor oil. My car is no longer covered by Porsche warranty and I plan to keep the car long term (100K+ miles) and want to ensure that the engine oil I am using is the very best that I can put in the car.

I understand that AMSOIL is not Porsche recommended, and whilst Mobil 1 is itself a good engine oil, I also realize that Porsche recommends it in large part because of the back scratching relationship they have with Mobil 1...but is it really the best engine oil for maximum protection and engine life?

Is anyone using AMSOIL in their Porsche? And what would be the recommended AMSOIL product? 0-30W?

Thanks for all and any help/recommendations.

You will not see a difference in synth oil performance other than price. With a large sump, I would not spend $8q for AMSoil when you could buy an awesome oil like Rotella T Synth 5w-40 for a fraction of the price.

You live in a moderate climate, a thick 30 weight would work for you, like German Syntec, MaxLife Synth or Mobil 1 0w-40, but my suggestion would be Mobil 1 10w-30 HI-Miles. It basicly meets the specs and needs of your engine, but comes in a $22/5q jug. No need for a lower W rating than a 10w-30 offers. Seal conditioners would be a treat for your expensive-to-maintain engine. Seriously. If you burn oil, top it or mix with Mobil 1 10w-40 Hi-Miles. I'm not shure how availability of these oils are. Might have to look for them.

Here is something to toy with while you decide.

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/RelativePerformanceToolIntro.html

I had the older version (986) boxster S and the m1 0W40 held up fine. Search for saaber2 and boxster to find it in the UOA forum. It was quite a long time ago. I put redline 5W40 in it and immediately noticed that the engine cranked over faster when starting and was much quieter and smoother, especially at high revs. It did seem to rev a bit faster but I didn't notice any change in power. If it were my car I would run Redline or Amsoil over the M10W40 or the others mentioned. I would also suggest searching for the last UOA posted by Doug Hillary which was I believe a 987? boxster that was running Mobil Delvac 1 which is very similar to our M1 5W40 TDT. His UOA was outstanding! So those owuld be my three choices.

You should talk to Doug Hillary, he is a fan of Porsche and I believe runs M1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) 40wt in his with great results.

Failing that, I'm an Amsoil fan so I would have to go with Amsoil SSO!
wink.gif

Wow was it just me or does the AMSOIL all caps just come off a bit much for the eyes LOL. Doug's UOA was pretty sweet for the mileage. Amsoil is an excellent product, but every lubrication situation is unique and may have several optimal solutions.

Hi'
Globespy - Use a lubricant off the Porsche Approval List or one that has a HTHS min vis. of 3.5cP and excellent anti foaming and viscosity retention abilities

M 1 0W-40 is the preferred choice of Porsche enthusiasts WW in road cars - and is well loved by Porsche's engineering staff in Zuffenhausen!

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions.
I can't recall if Mobile 1 0-40W is the 'standard' option for the boxster?

Doug, you are using Mobil 1 5w-40? Why would you not suggest I use the same oil?

Hi,
Globespy - In answer to your specific questions

1 - My car was on M1 0W-40 from new and its servicing regime followed Porsche's plan to the letter. M1 0W-40 is the factory fill and is the only lubricant used by Porsche in OZ (exceptions are very old engine families). It is also the only service oil used at Porsche Zentrum in Zuffenhausen although they will use an Owner supplied lubricant from Porsche's Approval List

2 - When I purchased the car I asked for my own supply of Delvac 1 5W-40 to be used as I have stocks of the lubricant. This was agreed to as the car has the extended Factory Warranty
As well I like my Porsche engines to use a lubricant that has a HTHS vis of around 4cp. Porsche's minimum is 3.5cP

3 - The nearest Porsche Dealership is around 1200kms (750 miles) from where I live here in the Queensland Tropics. All servicing is done by myself and an Independent Euro car (BMW) expert. In this small community we have four or five Boxsters, five 928s, four 944s, a number of Cayennes, at least two Caymans, two 924s and a few various 911 variants. Probably the highest density of Porsche cars to people anywhere!

4 - I use M1 0W-40 in my CLK Benz's engine and it will stay on that lubricant. It is just out of Warranty

5 - Porsche have not Approved an SAE30 lubricant for use in any of its non VW engine families since 1999

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Doug

What do your believe the benefits of using this oil with higher 4 vis levels are? are there any downsides to using this oil?
Also, I noticed that Delvac 5w-40 seems to be for heavy duty diesel trucks? And you put it in your porsche?

I noticed the last post from what seems to be an Amsoil distributor cites their oil with a 3.7 vis rating. Wondering if 4 is better, and why?

I live in the Pacific Northwest (seattle) and drive my car hard (90% of the time) with occasional driver education track events organized through the porsche club.

Last edited:
Having stayed at a Holiday Inn........
I think you would be well served by Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline.

I don't think I would get hung up on the 3.7 HTHS number. It is the cumulative effect of all the specs and formulation that count. In other words just because another oil has 4.0 HTHS does not mean it is automatically better.
I would stay with the 40wt gas oil myself.
I use Amsoil and I like it's product offerings. Doug is pro Mobil 1 and there is nothing wrong with that at all......

I don't have Porsche experience, but I have researched and used synthetics for 20+ years.

It's tough to beat Mobil 1 0w40 and M1 TDT 5w40. Both are among the best in their class.

AFL is OK, but has nothing on M1 0w40. M1 TDT is as good as DEO so I don't see an advantage there either.

The most exotic 5w40 would have to be Redline but I don't think you gain much of anything. Stick with M1 here IMO.

SSO's too thin for a Porshe.......

In a Porshe off warranty, I'd even go for the 5W-40 Diesel Amsoil...

Hi buster,
yes all these engines have a dry sump or a "variation" of that theme! Lubricant starvation in certain Porsche engines under certain forces is a reality - 928 Owners are aware of it - it is just one reason why I prefer a HTHS vis of >4cP

I drove the Nordschleife in May and can verify that the forces at place over the 20 odd kms long circuit are truely amazing! How they did it all with the Benzes and Auto Unions and the tyre technology in the 1930s makes the mind boggle. I'm going back next year to have another go at getting my entry and exit lines right at the Karussell (amongst other places). I've already booked my accommodation!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back