New 2009 Nissan Altima with 2.5 engine and CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took delivery - have never done synthetic oil before, but thinking to do it with this car. We ususally run a car 15-20k miles/year over 10 years - southern california, commuting to/from work.

Nissan has three levels of recommendations in the service guide book, premium/standard1/standard2.

1) Engine oil and change interval recommendations? From reading here I am thinking 5w-30, PP or M1, and 5k interval. Nissan recommendation is to change 3750/3750/7500.

2) How about the CVT transmission? First CVT for me. The documentation with the car calls for a special lube only available from Nissan - really? Nissan recommendation is 30k/never/never.

thx!
Vinny

Last edited:
Either of your oil choices is good - and you can safely run it longer than 5k miles - perhaps 7k miles or every 6 months, given your driving stats.
I have two friends who used (Amsoil) synthetic in their sentras, and changed the oil every 10-15k miles. both put 200k miles on the cars, and the engine was solid when sold. (not so for the body) I would not stretch PP or standard M1 that far - maybe the M1 EP.

as far as the tranny, I would change it every 30k, and I would probably get the fluid from Nissan - until someone chimes in with a known replacement - or one appears as time passes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Welcome to BITOG.

Unfortunately, you posted this in a diesel oil section. You'd get more feedback if you post your engine oil question in the gasoline engine oil forum and your transmission question in the tranny fluid forum.

oops, my bad - sorry about that - I will move. thx.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back