Alternatives for Castrol 10w60 TWS for M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Title says it, I would like some help in finding a good, readily available alternative to the factory required Castrol 10w60 TWS for my e46 M3. I have seen some guys go with the Mobil 1 15w50, but I wanted some real information from some enlightened people. Has anyone done a comparison between these two as far as UOA? Other brands? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Originally Posted By: z1le
Hi guys. Title says it, I would like some help in finding a good, readily available alternative to the factory required Castrol 10w60 TWS for my e46 M3. I have seen some guys go with the Mobil 1 15w50, but I wanted some real information from some enlightened people. Has anyone done a comparison between these two as far as UOA? Other brands? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Use Redline 5w-50, 0w-40, or 10w-60.

By the way, I run Castro,l Edge 5w-30 in my E93 M3 with much better results than I got from any 10w-560 I tried.

If there were a more readily available alternative that is also good, you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of seeking it out on an oil forum.
wink.gif

TWS is made specifically for M engines. Anything else is a gamble. I can think of a few oils that might be good alternatives, but they are harder to get.

If you're having trouble tracking down TWS, find a place online that will sell it by the case and stock up. I bet you could find a good deal that way, too.

Originally Posted By: WGermany
What is wrong with the Castrol oil that's made for BMW engines ?

Have you seen the analysis? It is sinfully weak!

TWS is readily available online at getBMWparts.com at a price less than the dealers charge, and with free shipping if you get six bottles and oem filter with it in a kit.

A popular alternative to the TWS is ELF/TOTAL 10w-50, advertised as made specifically for M engines. It costs a little less. Its used by a friend who tracks his e46 m3 a lot and he has gotten good UOAs with it.

As for TWS being sinfully weak, here's some opinions to the contrary -
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1353856#Post1353856

Turns out TWS has a castor oil natural ester component in its blend. I don't think you can get an anti-wear package much better than that. But the proof is in the pudding. Here's a recent UOA on a 99.5k mile e46 m3 that's seen some track time plus normal street use during the OCI -
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=281620

I think that's a pretty good UOA myself.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
TWS is readily available online at getBMWparts.com at a price less than the dealers charge, and with free shipping if you get six bottles and oem filter with it in a kit.

A popular alternative to the TWS is ELF/TOTAL 10w-50, advertised as made specifically for M engines. It costs a little less. Its used by a friend who tracks his e46 m3 a lot and he has gotten good UOAs with it.

As for TWS being sinfully weak, here's some opinions to the contrary -
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1353856#Post1353856

Turns out TWS has a castor oil natural ester component in its blend. I don't think you can get an anti-wear package much better than that. But the proof is in the pudding. Here's a recent UOA on a 99.5k mile e46 m3 that's seen some track time plus normal street use during the OCI -
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=281620

I think that's a pretty good UOA myself.

No offense meant, but I do not give Blackstone analysis any credence. I personally use Redline 5w-30 in my E93 and it looks fantastic. I see no reason to go thicker. Although i do have Redline 10w-40 in it now because I had it on hand and was too cheap to but 10 new quarts. I do lose 2% power with each grade in viscosity. The 10w-60 dynos at 38 less horsepower than Redline 5w-30 to the wheels. I am not so crazy about that either.

I thought I was extreme when I dumped the factory 10W60, and replaced with 300V 5W40 in my Z4M, you're step above!

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw

By the way, I run Castro,l Edge 5w-30 in my E93 M3 with much better results than I got from any 10w-560 I tried.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in trying something different in my, new-to-me, 03 M3.

Caterham: where'd you see the Mobil 10w60?

I find it hard to believe that an oil chosen by BMW M to protect their undersquare >100 hp/L engine (the S54) is that weak.
wink.gif

It is weaker than your 300V 5W40~

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I find it hard to believe that an oil chosen by BMW M to protect their undersquare >100 hp/L engine (the S54) is that weak.
wink.gif

That doesn't make it "sinfully" weak.
wink.gif

Besides, what is meant by "weak" anyway? TWS might not be able to take as much punishment as 300V, but it'll run much longer OCIs.

Any thoughts on the new Rotella T 5w-40 for this engine during a Canadian winter? Terry mentioned a while back to me that it was going to be a wonderful product...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back