multi-vehicle fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have often wondered just HOW some fluids (e.g. M1, amsoil ATF, etc etc) can be applied across so many applications.
How is it that this one fluid can meet the requirements of different transmissions designed by different engineers and different economies? why do automakers always seem stern about the use of their fluid only?
Just curious here.

crinkles, have a look at some of the mobil stuff (mobilfluid 424??) for an even more mindboggling set of specs and approvals.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i have often wondered just HOW some fluids (e.g. M1, Amsoil ATF, etc etc) can be applied across so many applications.

Because the fluids are not as different as the auto manufacturer makes it seem. Sure there are subtle differences but the AT doesn't know it in real world, extreme temperature, long life use. That said Amsoil does offer 4 ATF's.

Companies like Amsoil and Mobil do the proper testing and make sure there ATF will work for what its speced for. No hesitation in using either if its speced for your vehicle. Now Joe's multi-vehicle ATF from the dollar store would be a way different thing.

Jack of all trades, master of none. However, most drivers on the road today do not operate their vehicles under true severe service. Therefore, even if they used a fluid that was not fully compliant with their transmission, they'd never notice the difference. Also, there are some transmission fluid specs that are so outdated, such as Honda ATF-Z1, where any multi-vehicle fluid would be a vast improvement.

The multi vehicle ATFs do not actually meet all the individual specifications. Notice that they are not labeled as meeting the specs nor as licensed by the transmission makers. These fluids are "recommended" by the oil blender for the transmissions listed. They are close enough that they usually work very well, though. The testing is done by the additive makers who sell the packages to the oil blenders.

I always prefer a fluid that is "Recommend" or meets the "manufacture OEM requirements" rather than "suitable" If a fluid meets OEM requirements it is tailored for the specific application. Suitable and other such and sometimes misleading wording suggest that it will work but, most likely it is not ideal.

Transmissions are not all that much different from each other. A tranny is a tranny is a tranny.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Transmissions are not all that much different from each other. A tranny is a tranny is a tranny.

Not true at all. Different friction materials, different control systems, different applications.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: tig1

Not true at all. Different friction materials, different control systems, different applications.

But that doesn't change the basic design of how a tranny works.
Of course there are slight design differences but they pretty much all work the same. Here's and example of a mistake a person made with tranny fluid.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot...nsmissions.aspx

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just be sure to read the last sentence in the Mobil answer.

Yes, of course I did and that only makes since. I noted that the guy,in my view made a mistake. However, I thought it was interesting that he actually put engine oil in his tranny. There is a lot of flexability with trannies so a multi vehicle ATF that would be completely tested, as M1 and others would be, would service ATMs quite well.

On a personal note, I have used M1 ATF since it first came out many years ago and I believe it has always been good for GM and Fords alike. I've never had a tranny failure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back