Help Identifying Super Tacky Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPC

I've spent many days now trying to identify this grease on my own. I'm finally throwing in the towel and posting on here asking for help.

I'm not a grease expert, however over the past few days, I've been reading up so much about greases that I feel that I've learned quite a bit.

The grease is aqua green in color. It is extremely tacky and stringy. It is extremely water resistant. I put some of this on my fingers and try washing it off with water and water does absolutly nothing. The grease is still stringy even under water. So I tried some Dawn dishwashing soap, it did absolutely nothing to cut this grease. I ended up just wiping it off with a paper towel. Even after wiping my fingers with a paper towel, if I rub my fingers together, I can still partially feel the lubrication of the grease. It is really tacky stuff.

It has a faint petroleum smell.

It isn't a very thick grease. It is actually fairly thin feeling. To put it insto perspective standard synthetic wheel bearing grease in a tub is a thicker grease.

Once thing that I did notice, is that at room temperature, this grease is extremely tacky & stringy. When I put some on my fingers, and let just the warmth of my fingers bring the grease up to the same temperature or barely rub the grease between my fingers to build some heat, it started to lose its tackiness. This can't be more than about a 20 degree difference in temperature between skin temp & room temp.

However, if at room temperature, I could spread my fingers 2-3 inches apart and the grease still bridging the gap, when the grease increased to skin temperature with a little rubbing between my fingers, I could only get 3/4 to 1 inch of gap before the bridge (stringy) grease would seperate.

I can't think of anything else to add about the grease. I don't have any manufacturer or product identification about the grease. I just have a small container of it with no label or identification. I'm trying to find who makes it, or a very similiar product that I can purchase more of.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Someone tell us what it is, I want to put it in my U-Joints, I will never have too grease them again.

I'm not sure what it is. It does have a faint greasy type of smell to it. The stuff was used to lubricate vehicle suspension bushings. It worked really well because it stuck and didn't require constant regreasing every 3-5k miles.

However I don't have any information where it was purchased, who the manufacturer is, etc..

I'm looking to buy more of it.

I'm familiar with CV grease, this stuff is tackier than cv grease.

It is really tacky, stringy, and sticky

I'm 99.9% sure that is "water proof" grease used on boat trailer axle bearings. I used a tube of it when I rebuilt the front axle on an old Chevy 4wd pickup about 20 years ago so I could feel better about getting it submerged. The brand I used was sta lube and I just did a search - its called "Sta-Lube Marine Grease." I was working at AutoZone then and they still show a marine grease but it's by Coastal. Might be the same. I did see listings in several places online to buy it.

It was some might sticky stuff, tho. I bet if I look close enough there might still be a trace of it in my 1/2 ton spindle nut socket.

Originally Posted By: robshelton
The brand I used was sta lube and I just did a search - its called "Sta-Lube Marine Grease."

That's exactly what it looks like to me too. Boat trailer bearing grease. Some aftermarket sway bar companies supply it as well for use with poly bushings.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have any Sta-Lube that they could take a similar picture of. Or know of any common stores that might have it locally? Thanks.

I'm also interested in knowing more about the swimming pool pump grease. I was just doing some internet searching and can't find much about that topic or what type of grease is used to lube a pool pump.

I've used the Sta-Lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease, the color is right, but it was creamy, not tacky.

Quote:
NAPA sells sta-lube
Only if that franchisee chooses to stock that line.

Looks a LOT like the "Green grease" they sell at Autozone which is pretty sticky, but this might be even more tackified. Color appears to be the same.

I just got some of the sta-lube marine grease. As the one person previous said, it is more of a creamy consistency, not nearly tacky enough. Any other ideas as to what this grease could be?

Looks like grease for polyurethane suspension parts.
Used on sway bar bushings to stop the squeak.
Kinda rare, but I'll bet that's what it is.

this looks like a grease that I use on o-rings for swimming pools. In 1981 it was called Agualube, now it is called aguasheild. take a look at this web site it may answer more questions.
http://www.aquashield-grease.com/

It does not come off your fingers and I have had a little 4oz container for over 20 years and it has never dried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back