Purple colored grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an older trailer a few weeks ago and got to thinking about the wheel bearings while I was pulling it this weekend. It is a small (8'x12') tandem axle steel trailer. The hubs have bearing buddies on them and the grease in there is purple in color. Anybody know what brand/type of grease this is? I purchased some Mystic JT-6 high temp grease and am wondering if I should just shoot some of this in or pull apart the hubs and clean everything and repack with this new grease? Does it really matter either way?

When I was picking the trailer up the previous owner was jacking it up to show me that the bearings were good and filled all the hubs with this purple grease...I didn't even think to look at what type/brand he was using.

Why not call the previous trailer owner to see what he is using. If he filled them up right in front of you, then obviously he isn't trying to hide what type of grease he is using.

A phone call to the previous trailer owner is a lot easier than tearing down the hubs & bearings for a complete cleaning just to remove his unknown grease.

On another hand, I've never been someone to completely tear down something like trailer wheel bearings just to flush out the previous owners bearing grease. If there are bearing buddies on them, when it comes time to refill the bearing buddies, I'd just flush out the old grease by overfilling with new grease. Is there going to be some contamination between the two greases, sure. But I've been doing it like this for years, and never experienced a problem. I feel it is better that they are getting grease, than worrying about if the two greases are a perfect match. That is unless you plan on going to some exotic grease then it might be worth while to completely tear them apart, but if you're just looking to add trailer wheel bearing grease, I've never had a problem with mixing various brands.

No personal attack, this is simply my take on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back