Borescope anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be cool to have to check for sludge. Good for DIY colonoscopy too.............
shocked2.gif

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1x...catalogId=10053

Last edited:
i have something similar for work, i do heating and air conditioning service and installation.

i think it would fit into a large spark plug hole, not sure about the small ones

I have the color Matco unit. Tons of fun, and it impresses the ladies.
It was WAY less than the one in the link.

They do fit into spark plug holes, but they are more cool than practical IMHO. We found them good for sniffing out sludge and looking for pieces of bearings in oil pans before condemnation of a power unit. The one thing I liked about using one is that you can see where that darn oil pump drive shaft is pointing before you stab a distributor into an S10 or other GM pickup.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Mine is just a display type...it doesn't have a camera or capture feature. I guess I could hook up something to the video output port. This is what I got...

Snap on bore scope

How/what have you used it in automotive applications?

One thing I could see using it for would be if you dropped a bolt or gasket down in the engine compartment somewhere and need to fish it out but can't see it.

I hate when that happens!!.............
mad.gif

Last edited:
Yup! Every time I work on a vehicle I bring my extend magnet with me to fish those pesky things out! It's usually some crucial, not easily scrounged for 10mm custom stud that I drop too. What's really bad is when you drop something and it gets into the intake ports....NOT FUN!

Originally Posted By: pickled
They do fit into spark plug holes, but they are more cool than practical IMHO. We found them good for sniffing out sludge and looking for pieces of bearings in oil pans before condemnation of a power unit. The one thing I liked about using one is that you can see where that darn oil pump drive shaft is pointing before you stab a distributor into an S10 or other GM pickup.

Tom this is the type of work I have use these for. They work good for inspections of front and rear differential carriers too.

Yes, pretty much a good tool for used vehicle inspections. My neighbor won't touch an intake manifold or head gasket job until he bore scopes and leak down/compression tests the cylinders as part of the diagnostic. It helps him communicate to the customer whether they may want to save their money and dump the car vs. paying for the repair on a tired motor.

I think it would be cool to use it to check the intake/exhaust ports before and after using a good Fuel system cleaner.

Do these cleaners really clean those deposits up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back