Run Lawnboy 2-stroke 100-1 with AMsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old LawnBoy 2-stroke mower, I rarely use this mower since I got My Honda 4-stroke. The LawnBoy is 32-1 mix by the owners manual. This is a 127cc engine that puts out around 4HP, and is run under little load cutting grass. It smokes a lot on 32-1 and I think that is way to rich in todays world. Anyway, could I run this thing on the 100-1 Amsoil products like Saber?

Last edited:
I would say no. There is a lot of bad luck with people running old outboards on thinner mixes.

If you wanted to try 40:1 or 50:1 that would be about as far as I would go.

IMO, very few current 2 cycle engines can run a full lifetime on 100:1, it's doubtful that an older engine can. On a modern outboard with oil injection very few will run at this ratio, and then only at high rpm.

Running such a lean mix in an air-cooled engine can lead to major problems. Husky, Echo, Stihl all make good oils, find one of those brands and mix it 50:1

Try to 40 or 50:1 in a decent oil before you do the 1:100. I run my lawnboy at 40:1 and only have visible smoke off the start for a minute or two. Even at 32:1 you shouldn't see much if any smoke, I'll bet your carb is set to rich and your plug is very black.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Try to 40 or 50:1 in a decent oil before you do the 1:100. I run my lawnboy at 40:1 and only have visible smoke off the start for a minute or two. Even at 32:1 you shouldn't see much if any smoke, I'll bet your carb is set to rich and your plug is very black.

A properly tuned two-stroke will not smoke AT ALL on 32:1 after it's warmed up.
What oil are you running?

Check your air filter, if it's dirty/restricted it can cause it to run rich.

More oil makes more power and less carbon buildup when tuned for it . I would not run 100:1 no matter what AmsOil says.

One thing that most people don't keep in mind is Amsoil 100-1 has no solvents. So people think it is the same as a synthetic 50-1 oil which it is not. It is more concentrated.
That being said nothing wrong with running it at 75 or 85-1 ratios. I used to run a gallon at 1.5 oz Amsoil oil to a gallon of gas, which is 85-1 ratio. I have been using Amsoil injector oil at 50-1 because I ran out of 100-1. I have run it at 85-1 a lot with no problems in a yard blower and weed trimmer with very good luck. It is not a racing oil, and needs to be mixed really well because it does not have a solvent base.

The Amsoil injector oil is another option. All the Amsoil oils have very low smoke. That being said you can get more smoke with the wrong carb adjustments. If you are not comfortable with the 100-1 run a good 50-1 synthetic.

Lawnboy engines are not made the same way as a conventional two stroke. The lack of oil will cause early engine failure in many models. Don't risk it. Those Lawnboy mowers are worth money now.

And, no, Amsoil is not "more concentrated" because it has no solvents. Often times two stroke oils contain small amounts of solvents to assist in mixing and flow rate. The levels are extremely low in modern high performance oils. This has no bearing on the mixture ratio of the oil.

Lawnboy recommends TCW-3 "boat oil" vs oils for air cooled engines. Not really sure why or if it makes a difference, logical arguments on both sides of that coin. I continue to run all of mine at 32:1 and haven't had problems with deposits. I enjoy the manly scent so I don't roll dice with these no longer being manufactured machines.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

And, no, Amsoil is not "more concentrated" because it has no solvents. Often times two stroke oils contain small amounts of solvents to assist in mixing and flow rate. The levels are extremely low in modern high performance oils. This has no bearing on the mixture ratio of the oil.

So solvent is a lubricant then? If you have more solvent you have less lubricating ability. I say less solvents, more concentrated. You can called it "not more concentrated" but I disagree.

MegaCorp says he runs under light load. So I don't think the mower needs a racing oil.

Last edited:
I have been using a snowmobile oil in the lawn boy, because that's what I have around. Even When I used OMC oil, they still smoked, so I think you will get that with 32-1

I'm not sure these things will ever be worth money, I bought this at a garage sale for $40 a few years back, because we had a bunch of Lawn-Boys when I was a kid

Originally Posted By: Tom_T
Lawnboy recommends TCW-3 "boat oil" vs oils for air cooled engines. Not really sure why or if it makes a difference, logical arguments on both sides of that coin. I continue to run all of mine at 32:1 and haven't had problems with deposits. I enjoy the manly scent so I don't roll dice with these no longer being manufactured machines.
The Lawn Boy engine is a low rpm engine . The outboard engines are also low rpm engines . Where as Chain saw or Motorcycle engines are high rpm engines. Anyway the differences are the base oil mix and the additive packages .The formula has something to do with the deposits the oils leave. Or don't leave.

Megacorp are you wanting to use the 100-1 Saber because you think it's the best Amsoil for your application? Or because you think it will give less smoke?

I never noticed them saying you could run it at 50-1? I always thought that anything richer than 75-1 you may as well run a 50-1 oil.....

Applications (2-Cycle Recommendations Chart)
AMSOIL Saber 100:1 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for 100:1 mix ratios in normal service. Richer mix ratios may be used where desired.
2.6 oz. per 1 U.S. gallon 50:1
8 oz. per 5 U.S. gallons 80:1
1.3 oz. per 1 U.S. gallon 100:1
8 oz. per 6 U.S. gallons 100:1
TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Saber Outboard Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATO)

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Tom_T
The Lawn Boy engine is a low rpm engine . The outboard engines are also low rpm engines . Where as Chain saw or Motorcycle engines are high rpm engines. Anyway the differences are the base oil mix and the additive packages .The formula has something to do with the deposits the oils leave. Or don't leave.

Note that many 2 strokes seem to be low rpm but really are not as they fire every time the piston comes up.

So a 2 stroker turning 5000 rpm is just like a 4 stroker running ten grand!

You need modern materials and different machining for 100:1 oil mix. Use mfgr. recommendations and mix it well. Most will hardly smoke at all if mixed very completely.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

So solvent is a lubricant then?

MegaCorp says he runs under light load.

That's not what I said. Modern quality oils contain less than 5% solvent. The oil ratio accounting for an average of 2% solvent won't change from 32 to 1 to 100 to 1. In fact, the levels of solvent are so low that the manufacturers calculated oil ratio should be adhered to.

If you want to be a stickler about it, go from 32 to 1 to 31.7 to 1 to account for the solvent. Or use Amsoil at 32.3 to one if the manufacturer accounted for the solvent.

The argument of adjusting for solvent falls flat.

Nor did I suggest a racing oil. However, certain ones might be a good choice.

I have posted here many times about some two stroke oil testing our company did for Mercury Marine.

Bottom line,

32 to 1 provides all the protection possible in nearly every situation. Except very highly loaded engines such as 48HP 125cc Kart engines.

16 to 1 will result in more HP as will 8 to 1 if you can get it to run cleanly.

50 to 1 provides enough protection for many non racing applications but does result in slightly higher wear rates of certain components. This includes reed valves and crank bearings.

100 to 1 results in much higher wear rates regardless of type of oil used. It will also result in outright engine failure in many highly loaded racing applications. Kart engines and 500cc GP bikes are good examples of unsuitable applications.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

16 to 1 will result in more HP as will 8 to 1 if you can get it to run cleanly.

How does burning less fuel result in more HP? In the extreme case - if oil releases more energy than gasoline why not just run 100% oil? Or 50:50?

Was this a case where rings were worn and the rediculous oil mixture was helping to restore compression?

Generally, when speaking of power equipment, I've seen it said that you get more power with less oil, because more of the fuel mix is power-producing gasoline. You also need to adjust the carb when you change your oil ratio.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Running such a lean mix in an air-cooled engine can lead to major problems. Husky, Echo, Stihl all make good oils, find one of those brands and mix it 50:1

Um, I should start a thread on this.

Just found out my GF have been using in a 2 cycle Lawn-Boy LESS than 3 OUNCES of 2-cycle oil TOTAL for about a year and a half mowing every week, 8 months a year!

shocked2.gif

That's right.

She only had a 8 oz can for the past year & a half and barely 3 ounces are out of it.

So, 3 ounces in 12-15 gallons of gas! It ran!
shocked2.gif

Needless to say, I immediately drained it out and informed her to use 4 ounces per gallon.

"optimol 2" at 100-1

i've used it for the last 15 or 20 years on a B&S (ROBIN i think) powered lawn mower, an ECHO, MCULLOCH and HOMELITE trimmers and a RYOBI blower vac

NONE have been replaced due to engine damage or wear, no smoke, no clogged ports, no oily exhaust or muffler and the bores look like new

p.s. i believe this is NOT a syn oil, but it is also a good fuel conditioner

I mix a rich 32:1 using whatever chainsaw oil I can find. I run my Stihl saw, my weedwacker and my old Lawnboy mower on it. I also add a cap of MMO to every fill up. It makes the smoke smell good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back