Mobil 1 vs Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on running 10,000 mile OCI's and have always used Wix filters however I was just wondering if the Mobil 1 filter would be a better choice for 10,000 miles? I normally changed my (DINO) oil and wix every 5,000 miles but we drive about 20,000 miles a year so I would rather do 2 (SYN) oil changes a year vs 4 (DINO). Would the Mobil 1 filter be better for 10,000 miles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTBandit
Go to Pep Boys and get a Royal Purple Oil filter - It's better than a Mobil 1.

What makes it better?

Someone was saying a while back that Purolator claims their PureONE is good for 15K OCIs. Don't recall who gave the info ... they will probably chime in, or you could do a search for it.

Another thing to possibly consider is you're switching from dino to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 will try to clean any deposits you might have from running dino ... depends on what dino and what you're OCIs were on how much crud you might have. So, the filter might get more loading in this case ... but at 10K OCI you'd probably be fine if running a filter that's good for 15K+ OCIs.

I've used Wix filters, as well as Mobil 1 filters, I like the Mobil 1 filters better. That is as long as cost is not the main issue. JMO

I've run Wix 10k and didn't have any issues (that I know of). Half the price of the M1 filter to boot. Not saying the M1 isn't a good filter......

Originally Posted By: lookatme
I plan on running 10,000 mile OCI's and have always used Wix filters however I was just wondering if the Mobil 1 filter would be a better choice for 10,000 miles? I normally changed my (DINO) oil and wix every 5,000 miles but we drive about 20,000 miles a year so I would rather do 2 (SYN) oil changes a year vs 4 (DINO). Would the Mobil 1 filter be better for 10,000 miles?

You're just outside my range for using one other than an EaO for a year. 15k should be doable by just about all of them at a 20k/year rate. That's a whole lot of low warmup/total mileage for loading a filter. I tested a 9k old older PureOne and it surely looked like it had 50% more life left in it with a decent amount of utility left to it. I would tend to think that the profile would be similar for most filters. Honda kinda suggests that with their generic 10k/20k OEM recommendation.

btw- with 20k, the 4 dino changes would not require 4 filter changes. The insoluble production is identical. You're just resetting the sump particle accumulations to zero 4 times instead of 2.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would choice the M1 over the Wix.

x2..WIX is a great filter and can go many miles but for 10k(or more) i'd feel better using the M1,it's "made" to be a extended use filter the WIX is not.

ive used NG's @ 7-8k that looked good inside still.

If this is your first time using Mobil 1 Mobil says to change the oil out at 5,000 miles due to cleaning. I just ran Mobil 1 for the first time in my high mileage corolla and it came out black at 4300 miles.

Originally Posted By: brian12
If this is your first time using Mobil 1 Mobil says to change the oil out at 5,000 miles due to cleaning. I just ran Mobil 1 for the first time in my high mileage corolla and it came out black at 4300 miles.
My motor is already clean...after 5000 miles on Dino oil it is just a dark brown. I dont think the 5,000 mile recommendation is to clean the dirt and sludge as much I think it is to flush out all the dino oil and get it ready for extended oil change intervals...I could be wrong? As far as filters go I am still debating? I am almost thinking about running Amsoil and their filter....cost is not a consideration but I am after protection and a year of not having to mess with it again. I figure if I run Amsoil and filter I will just do an oil change once a year before winter.

There was a member who tested oil filters it is somewhere on the site, and the Mobil 1 filters were actually better IIRC than the Amsoil filters. At least in his test. If you plan on running a 10,000 mile OCI you really can't go wrong with the Mobil 1 filter. JMO

Yes. Over his 5k tests M1 beat the EaO. In the 10k (iirc) the EaO was starting to catch up. I suspect you'll see a cross over at the 15k mark. That's when I think M1 will be near it's end of useful life. I might have done things a bit differently to bring results around sooner ..but I have no problem with the way it's going. Whatever comes out of it ...comes out of it
21.gif

Last edited:
More guessing and casting doubt to defend your own products shortcomings......

"I suspect you will see a crossover at 15K"
"thats when I think the M1 will be near the end of its useful life"

Last edited:
I think I am going to run mobil 1 ep and a mobil 1 filter for 10,000 miles...even though it is supposed to be a 15,000 mile oil I have read test where the TBN does a major nose dive around 10,000 miles and I think they took it to 18,000 miles but that is only because they changed the filter and topped it off with a qt of fresh oil. The TBN looked good though up till 10,000 miles though.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
More guessing and casting doubt to defend your own products shortcomings......

"I suspect you will see a crossover at 15K"
"thats when I think the M1 will be near the end of its useful life"

..and, my highly socialized and classy friend, what will you say if the EaO bests the M1 at the 15k point? Will you say the test doesn't count?

I suspect so
lol.gif

Just think of all the dirt and abrasive particles the EAO allowed to circulate causing engine wear for 15,000 miles that a Pure One or mobil 1 would have trapped and prevented????????

Given enough time,a window screen will load up and EVENTUALLY filter fine particles.....

keep defending your under-performing overpriced EAO......but why not direct your energy directly to Assoil and demand them to create a filter that is competitive with those costing 1/3 the price and give you a product to sell to your few vustomers without you having to twist facts to defend???????

Q - Amsoil products are not for you! Don't buy any. Really. You're way too smart to be taken in by that junk.

I have 4 of those under-performing overpriced EAO38 filters sitting on a shelf........yet still reach for a Pure One or Mobil 1 filter when it comes time for a filter change..........maybe one day I will reach for one of the EAO,s but it is hard to knowingly install an inferior filter when the others are stocked right next to it.

Give them back to your dealer for a refund. You're way too good a person to use that junk. No pulling the wool over your eyes ..a savvy keen shrewd old salt like you? No way.

I bet the dealer forced you to take them. You're much too smart to have ever parted with cash for such junk. No sir.

I'd put them in plastic bags so the stench doesn't rub off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back