After Major Engine Overhaul / Oil Drain Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
If doing an overhaul on the head and block, the first initial oil fill, should one drain it soon after like a week or two because some shavings or particles will end up in the oil soon after?

I have always drained at 500 miles for the first change then go out to about 1500 for the second. After that I usually run most synthetics to 5-6K with a premium filter and call it good.

Doug Hillary is your man on this topic. He has a lot of experience with this in many engines. Hopefully he will chime in. His advice will be more scientific if you will, while the majority of bitog will give you more anecdotal advice. Im by no means knocking the non scientific opinions as what I have recommended above is by no means proven with data. It just makes me feel good and has always worked.

I always did an oil/filter change after the initial run-in, then again at 500. Probably overkill, but, helped me sleep better.
grin2.gif

500 first fill
1500 second change
3000 last change then regular service...

I never used synthetic for the first 10.5k, old man beta that in my head on every motor we ever built...

Originally Posted By: Shup1
500 first fill
1500 second change
3000 last change then regular service...

I never used synthetic for the first 10.5k, old man beta that in my head on every motor we ever built...
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
I always did an oil/filter change after the initial run-in, then again at 500. Probably overkill, but, helped me sleep better.
grin2.gif

Me to...to get the forgotten dirt out!
Im sometimes amazed how much metal that comes out after just half an hour.

After you have the engine together fill with HD30 and run for 20minutes above 2000RPM's. Vary the RPM's to make sure you get good splash oiling. After that intial 20-30 minute run in drain the oil and refill with fresh oil! If you used any type of EP assembly lube or molly fortified grease you will need to change the oil filter as well.

I would again use either a 15W40 HDDEO because you want to have plenty of Zink in the break in oil. Run that for 500 miles then change the oil but keep the filter. Run another fill of 15W40 for 2000-3000 miles then change it again.....After 3000 miles of run in I would switch to what ever oil you want to run and go to your normal oil change interval.

The reason for the increased change freq. is because non-oem machining operations do not produce the ultra fine finish that we are used to seeing on modern engines. It is more like the finish we used to see in the 1970's with regards to the amount of asperities and such.

Ideally the oil I for the break in should have a load of molly in it too but it is almost imposable to find cheap dino oils that have lots of ZDDP and Molly. Some of the rings used in modern engines like molly for break in and some like ZDDP. Cam's and lifters normally prefer ZDDP during break in. Timing chains like to have a little of both and some phos. as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back