Separation in tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I looked at a few of my tubes of grease, by pulling the plastic cap off. Amsoil racing grease has not separated at all, but my schaeffer's grease has a decent amount of liquid oil on top of the grease. Is there a good way to recombine, or should I just drain it off? I've found that when grease separates in a gun, it makes a big mess...

Same problem with the Mobil 1 red grease I have in the gun at this time.

I just drain the oil and get on with it.

It is a BIG mess (I have to keep the gun in a drain pan to catch all the oil)

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

I had the exact same problem with the same grease. I had a fresh tube of it sitting on top of a bunch of sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers etc. One day I come out to grab some tools and this red goo was all over everything including the garage floor. Temp was around 85F in the garage. What a fracking mess that was. It took me an hour to clean everything properly.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

Bill,
As you might guess I use M1 grease and I just pull the plunger out so there isn't any pressure on the gun. Once I did that I haven't had any oil leakeage at all. Before I retired I worked in a machine shop that repared heavy equiptment for the steel industry and the bearings for their stuff was subjected to high heat. Some companies required M1 grease as it held up to the heat. Our grease guns would leak as well till we started pulling the plunger out when the gun wasn't being used.

Last edited:
Thing with my grease tubes are they are unused, just runny sitting on a shelf!

Which Schaeffer's grease are you using? I had the same problem with a 10-tube box of #238 Moly Supreme, it was on the shelf for about 6 months and when I went to use it I noticed about 1/2oz of oil on top of the grease. I poured the oil off and used them anyway. I also had some serious oil bleeding if I hung the grease gun up for a few weeks and never backed off the plunger.

Some greases seem to be more prone to this than others, check the oil separation results on the spec. sheet to compare products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back