automotive glass an effective sunblock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't block UV. Some newer Toyotas do however (I believe the Corolla and Camry?). If it blocks UV it will say right in the corner of the glass.

My wife's cousin and daughter wear transitions glasses. When riding in the car, their glasses do not transition, apparently due to the UV blocking of the windows. They do not have special tint.

For sure most Japanese made models - most Lexus, Land Cruiser, Prius, and some Camry/Corolla models have low-UV glass. Look for UV or UVS near where it says TOYOTA and the manufacturing mark. North American made vehicles may have it, I know I've seen 30E stamped on AP Tech/AGC Automotive glass sourced in America with DOT-376. Our Sienna has a [censored] Safelite windshield and I do noticed fading of the lock buttons, while the PPG OEM glass has a distinct green tint to it.

Ford/Carlite says green-tinted glass is equivalent to SPF140+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Is OEM (non-tinted or light tint) automotive glass an effective sunscreen of UVA/UVB? is there an equiavalent SPF for it?

Almost any true glass takes a good percentage of UV out of sunlight, and automotive glass is better than typical plate glass. The tint doesn't matter much, its the glass itself that blocks UV. I wouldn't know how it equates to a sunblock number, but it would be a very large number. I'm blond-haired and fair-skinned, and I've never gotten so much as a tan riding in the sun inside a car for hours on end... but I can get out of that car and get a burn in direct sunlight in about half an hour.

Last edited:
I also wear photochromatic lenses. (transition lenses). They are useless as sunglasses when driving unless you are in a convertable. I believe you will find that the reason has nothing to do with the windows: the reason that the lenses are not tinting is because sunlight is not actually hitting the lenses when you are shielded by the roof of a car - it does not matter what you are actually looking at, the lenses require bright light to actually shine on the lenses in order for them to "transition". to test, simply lay the lenses somewhere in the car where light will actually reach them and they will, in fact, darken.

I always take the windshield out of my 4Runner and lay under it when I go to the beach. Then I don't have to mess with all that greasy sunscreen.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: johnd
All glass blocks most UV, that's why UV lamps are always made of quartz, which does not block it.

Tanning lamps are still made like fluorescent tubes, but there are high-pressure lamps that use a quartz capsule.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Does anyone here have one of those UV dose meters?

i'll give the aussie version.

outside, yes you are getting sunburnt.

inside, you are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back