Boat- 5.0 V8 Volvo Penta OSI-E/ 30W syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2005 5.0 V8 Volvo Penta OSI-E with 180 hours (has Volvo full synthetic 30W). When running, the oil pressure gradually drops from 60 to 25 over an hour or so. If running hard (4000 RPM for extended period of time), eventually get a backfire - easing back seems to fix it but recently when coming off plane the pressure dropped to below 20 and heard valve tapping and engine ran rough - started every 15 minutes after when docked and pressure gradually climbed back.

From the Blackstone report:

The viscosity of this oil measured in the SAE 20W-grade range. Only a trace of gas was in the oil so
it could be that this engine shears an oil's viscosity a little. The universal averages show typical wear for this
type of marine engine after 24 hours of oil use. This oil was in use for 12 hours and all wear metals read
below averages, which is a good indication of normally wearing parts at 180 hours. Silicon and insolubles
were both low, showing normal air and oil filtration. No moisture or coolant was present in this sample.
Looks okay.

Could the lowered viscosity from shear (?) (20W vs 30W which is the weight of the syn oil put in) cause my issue.

Tom

How do I post an image or PDF of the oil analysis to this forum?

SUS Viscosity 55.6 (should be 60-72)
cSt Viscosity (should be 8.95)
flashpoint 405 (should be > 410)
Fuel - Trace

Engine is fuel injected...am pretty sure is oil related as heard lifter noise along with low oil pressure.

does changing the oil "fix' the problem? have you owned the boat since new? is this a recent problem? I have the same motor in a 24' boat, so it definitely works hard. There are also times that we run for hours without slowing. I generally try to change the oil at 50 hours but have run it past that. I am using Amsoil 15-40 Marine oil; although I have also used Amsoil 30W. another marine user here strongly recommended Delo 15-40.

Here is the full report
snap.jpg

The stuff sheared ..and it's a straight weight
54.gif
The flash point is near ideal ..so there's no fuel component to the thinning.

I don't quite get the backfire thing ..but if you're not able to sustain stable pressure under sustained load you've got a cooling issue.

I'd definitely up the visc to a 40 or 50 weight.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The stuff sheared ..and it's a straight weight
54.gif
The flash point is near ideal ..so there's no fuel component to the thinning.

I don't quite get the backfire thing ..but if you're not able to sustain stable pressure under sustained load you've got a cooling issue.

I'd definitely up the visc to a 40 or 50 weight.

Yes I was thinking maybe the oil was getting too hot from a bad heat exchanger or something. Like you say if it is shearing in less than 50 hrs or so that is not good.
I repeat that it backfiring is from an ignition or improper fuel mixture, most likely. That would be a separate issue.

Might be worth trying the Amsoil AME 15w-40 or their 30wt ACD. Maybe they will shear out of grade as well. If that's the case then fuel and or heat is beating the heck out of your oil!

I have a Volvo Penta 5.7l fuel injected 300HP with the duo props on my 2006 23.5' runabout.

What is your water temperature? Shouldn't be higher than 175*

Sounds like it is running too hot.

I've run Mobil 1 15W-50 for 7 years (2 different boats, first one was 4.3l 230HP fuel injected).

I have really liked this oil. My pressures when hot are 60PSI while running, and don't drop below 20PSI at hot idle.

15W-50 is one of the recommended oil weights for our boats.

I have some Amsoil AME 15W-40 I may try next season. The Mobil 1 has served me well, so it may be tough to switch!!

Yes what is your water temp? Can you check the temp of your oil in the pan with an infrared temp gun? That would tell a lot.

Don't know the max temp but if it was over 250F that would probably be too hot. What do you guys think max temp should be?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Can barely read the report......looks like a lot of iron?

Maybe need a thicker oil?

Right click "View Image" 36ppm

Thanks Gary. I just learned something....right click is my friend.
34.gif
Just noticed our little happy emoticoms are mostly gone......
54.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

34.gif
54.gif

shocked2.gif
grin2.gif
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
whistle.gif
frown.gif
cheers3.gif
55.gif

Which ones? Hit the smiley window and along the bottom left edge is "view more smilies". They're all there, pal!!

btw- I just stumbled upon the right click thing. I knew there had to be a way to view the thing.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

34.gif
54.gif

shocked2.gif
grin2.gif
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
whistle.gif
frown.gif
cheers3.gif
55.gif

Which ones? Hit the smiley window and along the bottom left edge is "view more smilies". They're all there, pal!!

btw- I just stumbled upon the right click thing. I knew there had to be a way to view the thing.

OK ya got me......I see they changed the way they display.....

Reading was from the gauge...but I was able to put my hand on both exhaust risers, and they seemed not too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back