Links to oil filter comparison tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
What I would like to see is true filtering tests for filters. % they filter and amount they hold before they go into bypass mode.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
What I would like to see is true filtering tests for filters. % they filter and amount they hold before they go into bypass mode.

+1. These comparisons are mostly all beautiful photography with a good dose of conjecture. Better testing is needed for sure.

+1

This really reminds me of the endless discussions of dog food in the dog forums. Most people on the net believe www.dogfoodanalysis.com is the gospel. They have dug up the ingredients in all the different ones, assigned values to each one, and rate all the foods. What is missing is any studies relating the values they assign to the ingredients to the health of the dogs eating foods with those ingredients.

Long before the internet became an unparalleled source of misinformation, Labman's family was raising puppies for a dog guide school. They breed hundreds of puppies a year, provide all the medical care for most of them the first year. At the end of it, they do a complete physical including hip X-rays on all of them. They then spent $35,000 training them before giving them away. They have a large data base of breeding records. Dogs with any physical or temperamental problems are unfit for the program and are a waste. Their well equipped clinic and vet staff are available for serious problems as long as the dog is working. When the dog is no longer able to work, it is replaced at again the $35,000 plus a large emotional upheaval for the person depending on the dog. You think they don't know what foods work, and select a good one?

According to dogfoodanalysis, the Pro Plan they feed is junk along with the Iams and Science Diet other service dog schools use.

So at www.oilfilteranalysis.com, we cut open filters, stretch out the media. measure it, note other details of construction including the all important end caps, etc. and rate the filters. Of course, we have little idea of how good the media is in any of them, how much we really need, does crud wash into the bearings through dome end bypasses, etc. Note, the details of filter construction keep changing, just like ingredients in dog food.

What do we expect of an oil filter? Reducing wear with very low risk of leaking. What problems I had in maybe a half million miles? The EMPI filters I used on my truck in 1977 didn't have a groove to retain the gasket and it blew out. The second time was almost in front of Mr. Goodwrench. I walked back and gave them the keys and explained the problem. When I returned, I was told it had an AC filter like it should and to keep it that way. They ran $5 back then.

What real study of filters do we have? The old CR and NYC taxicabs study where Frams did so well?

I sent a request into CR to do an in depth filter test. I guess the interest was not there.

Last edited:
He shouldnt say the M1 and K&N are exactly the same there not,M1's filter media is as different,filters better then the K&N.

and he saw the same problem i see with them c rapy ST;

"cheaply made and the felt end caps detached from the filter media with frightening ease"

DSC01130.png

Originally Posted By: daman

.... and he saw the same problem i see with them c rapy ST;

"cheaply made and the felt end caps detached from the filter media with frightening ease"

DSC01130.png

Actually the "felt" end caps are not glued, but "thermally bonded". In any case, the seal is definitely not good in the areas pointed out in the photo.

Hey, just consider it a "built in bypass filter".
wink.gif

As I understand it they actually are built in bypass filters. The endcaps are a highly efficient media allowing finer particles to be filtered out of the fraction of oil passing through them.

I have seen a number of reports here of the end caps being well bonded by those smart enough or diligent enough to figure out how the bypass works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back