Went with Series 3000 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished changing out the oil in my 2005 Nissan Frontier 2.5L.

Was running Amsoil XL 5w20 since 3,000 miles. I now have almost 11,000 miles on the truck.

I decided on the Series 3000 for several reasons.
1. Its' the best oil that Amsoil makes. Stays in grade, best TBN and awesome Aditive package.
2. I plan on putting a Dual remote by-pass filter on it. (I have it sitting here just need to get it mounted) and I want to be able to extend drains. My goal is 100,000 miles and the Series 3000 would be the best for that.

I'll post some pics when I get the by-pass filter done.

I use the 5w30 HDD for similar reasons, but additionally I wanted an "all-fleet" oil for most of my vehicles / equipment.

Even with consolidating the autos & diesel tractor, I still use 10w40 (AMO) in my air cooled lawn equipment and 20w50 (ARO) in my motorcycle.
I'm due for a 2 year UOA on a van, F150, and diesel tractor soon - all with TP bypass filters & the HHD oil.

I had been planning to order some of this oil from you within the next couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear that you feel it's Amsoil's best offering.

I believe Amsoil worked with Ethyl on this oil. It does have the high Ca, low Mg unlike the other Amsoil oils.

Not sure it stays in grade any better, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a well made oil but quite expensive @ $8.79qt.

Yeah but MS only pays $6.70.

It's almost like the decision is between XL and HDD, when talking Amsoil 5W-30's and poor ASL is feeling left out.

MS - can we see the UOA's on the XL 5W-20?

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I plan on putting a Dual remote by-pass filter on it. (I have it sitting here just need to get it mounted) and I want to be able to extend drains. My goal is 100,000 miles and the Series 3000 would be the best for that.

You want to do a 100k OCI?

Seems to me that 100k mile trouble-free usage is doable with most any oil in any reasonably used vehicle... without any bypass or what not!

That said, that is a great oil and I may someday use it in my truck (have some GC to use first though). Id be VERY interested in seeing how you set up your bypass... Ive always been tempted to install one of those!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by BTC:
I had been planning to order some of this oil from you within the next couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear that you feel it's Amsoil's best offering.

Ya this is the oil that Al himself uses in his surburban. Plus I had discussed this with several other dealers that I trusted and came to the same conclusion. I like the Series 2000 0w30, but I just don't think it's as bullet proof as the HDD.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

MS - can we see the UOA's on the XL 5W-20?

Sorry, it's sitten in the bottom of the used barrel now. I felt it would be a waste of money (except to let the UOA weenies have a look) but otherwise, I'm sure there would have been higher wear metals since the engine is new. Though it would have been interesting to see how the OXD and NOX numbers, plus viscosity held up. But it's no biggie. The truck ran fine and got great mpg's with this oil.

I'm averaging just over 24mpg since new. Now that fall is here and no A/C. Should see the fuel economy come up to over 25.

I'll be changin over the rear end and the transmission next month when I get my Amsoil check.

A mechanic in Atlanta that used to do work on my cars had a buddy that ran Amsoil and had the dual bypass filtration setup. It was one of the big Ford or GM pickups. He claimed the guy had gone 100,000 miles and had not changed the oil.

quote:

He claimed the guy had gone 100,000 miles and had not changed the oil.

Yes, but.... If he followed instructions, he changed the full flow filter twice yearly and the bypass filter yearly. That removes some old oil and requires some new oil added.

Bypass filters do work. The only real question is whether they are worth the cost of the filter assembly (can be moved to the next vehicle) and if the added engine life means anything after the rest of the vehicle falls apart.

Ken

The extra added chemistry in the S3k may be of no use in a gas engine therefore it would be better to stick with the S2k oil.
dunno.gif

Q. Can Series 3000 5w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil be used in a Dodge Dakota V-8 engine and a Mercury Marquis V-8 engine, and is it a better choice for these applications than the Series 2000 0w-30?

A. The Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil may be used in these applications. It is rated for heavy duty diesel engines as well as gasoline powered engines. The primary difference between the Series 3000 5w-30 and the Series 2000 0w-30 is that the Series 3000 has an additive package better suited for heavy duty diesel engines. For optimum protection in gas engines, the Series 2000 0w-30 is the recommended motor oil. Its advanced antiwear chemistry is designed to provide the best protection and offers good longevity for light duty applications.

Well, now I'm confused. I thought the consensus was that of the two oils, the S3K would provide superior protection in most all circumstances. Is that not the case?

Not sure I've seen any evidence that the S3k protects better then the S2k in a gas engine. Not enough UOA's to conclude that.

All Amsoil oils use Esters. They are predominately PAO based oils, much like M1. Redline/Motul are most Ester based.

I've decided to use the Series 3k 5w30 in my Saab 9-5 (I had a recent post about switching from M1 0w40).

I figure that my wife's short trips justify a thinner oil, that the Mass. climate doesn't require a 0w oil and that at 6-10F a 5w and a 0w will be pretty much the same (and a 5w30 will be thinner than a 0w40), and that the HDD chemistry will handle the short trips well. 5w30 is what the manual calls for anyway.

I'll do a 6-month OCI to keep with the owner's manual 'severe service' schedule and to keep in line with the sludge warranty requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back